The OSR PIT Zine is ALIVE! Now open for submissions

@Lazy_Litch the intent is to have an at-cost POD copy available from Lulu. Based on the page count it should be between $4 (cheap paper, black & white) and $10 (heavy paper, full color) +shipping available worldwide.

The templates are set up for and will work with Lulu.

2 Likes

@Kingroy23 (and anyone else with ideas or input) Iā€™m putting together a rough of my d100 table, and finding that with a bit of intro text and a small art piece or two I can neatly fill 2 pages.

Are we set on the table font size? Iā€™m finding that at 10pt font and one line per item, Iā€™m only getting 4-5 words per entry. I can work with that, but Iā€™m worried the items will come across as a bit more generic with that limited word count. I think the reduced word count may help give the entries focus and make me pick my words carefully, Iā€™m just bouncing ideas around.

For example, one of my original ideas ā€œScrap of parchment covered in an ancient language. The ink is still wet.ā€ is getting shortened to ā€œAncient script scrawled on tablet.ā€ Iā€™m also wondering if having (some) items take up two rows might be the way to go.

2 Likes

I messed around with tables some more today, and I think youā€™re right. I think using a smaller font is acceptable for tables if it would help you make entries less generic. The two rows idea is also smart, so Iā€™d encourage you to just experiment and find a nice balance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll go for a double spread please! Iā€™ll see about cramming my mini tunnecrawl onto a single spread, or cannibalising it for the good parts. And use the other spread for the tables, mechanics stuff.

I can do InDesign work. Also, if there are a people wanting to do a single column or a single page, i can take a few of those and lay them out.

2 Likes

Below is a screenshot of my work-in-progress layout. Iā€™m working in InDesign without the proper template, but I tried to match font and text box sizes. Using @KnightOwlā€™s table design. :slight_smile:

BTW, does anyone want to use my ā€œd8 Theories On Why The Town Fell Into the Pitā€ table in their layout, maybe somewhere near an introductory page? It feels out of place here, and Iā€™d hate to throw it away.

I think many of us will run into this issue of having a loose table thatā€™s not worth a page on its own, but useful in the right context.

Mini adventure layout WIP:

8 Likes

This looks really, really good. Nice work!

1 Like

Thanks!! Means a lot! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey there! Iā€™d like to contribute a single spread:

d20 Tunnel Denizens, Dangers, and Encounters

Basically a quick way to throw something at the players as they explore the tunnels, whether that be a trap, creature antagonists, poison gas, cave-ins, or whatever.

Let me know if this doesnā€™t fit. Thanks!

Also, I donā€™t currently have Affinity Publisher, but I might could find a copy or something. Otherwise Iā€™m willing to work with someone on layout.

3 Likes

Perhaps I could contribute some artwork. Itā€™s not really conventional osr/D&D style artwork, but if thereā€™s room. Colorful, painted characters. Someone on the osr reddit mentioned Troika-ishā€¦

8 Likes

Awesome, you got it. The mock-up looks great, hopefully weā€™ll have some official InDesign templates soon.

Iā€™ve been thinking about reserving a slot for the introduction to the Pit, Iā€™d love to use it.

1 Like

Sounds good!

Stunning work @perplexingruins, I think itā€™d fit great on our zine. Anything catch your eye yet?

1 Like

Does the zine have a name yet? I was talking to other people about it and I couldnā€™t recall one and havenā€™t seen a name used here yet.

1 Like

@Kingroy23 I forgot to sign up a space for the 1d8 reasons why itā€™s a bad idea to explore the tunnel, do you think it would be better to drop it or just add the table to the Digmaidsā€™ space?

its called ā€œthe pitā€

2 Likes

I reserved a double spot for stuff about the setting, you can definitely work with that space.

1 Like

Thank you! Havenā€™t quite seen a subject Iā€™d be capable of illustrating yet, but will keep checking in. Could make a painting of one of the encounters or denizens. Or would be happy to post illustration and have somebody generate a NPC/monster background, stats, etc? Rather new to the whole scene reallyā€¦

2 Likes

Does anyone have a completed example?

1 Like

Hi,
Havenā€™t been too active on these forums due to a million other things in my life, but Iā€™d be down to do some art for the zine!
Examples of my D&D-type work.
Iā€™m down to draw just about anything tbh

3 Likes

Hey, Iā€™ve finished putting my review for Willow in the template.

Itā€™s in the google drive now. Hereā€™s the example:

1 Like

Hereā€™s a rough drawing for my submission a friend helped by creating. I couldnā€™t post my idea for the zine due to an inability to log in to the site until today. Itā€™s a magical snowman. Is he good? He donā€™t look like a nice snowman to me. Heā€™s found deep inside a pit within the pit. Very Spooky. Each of his items are magical or serve a purpose. The carrot nose for exampleā€¦ one bite can provide the nourishment an adventurer needs to last a week in the pit. His coal buttons can be compressed into diamonds. Could there be more treasure? If this submission gets accepted be prepared toā€¦ SWEAT LIKE A SNOWMAN IN HELL!

4 Likes