Advanced Targe - A 'Strategy' Adventure Game and a kinda post-mortem

A system/hack I’ve been working on for a while. And a few thoughts on working on something for too long. It’s not strictly an OSR game, since it uses a dice pool system, but is inspired by games like Maze Rats, Troika, and the SEACAT.

Let me know if anything in there is of any use!

1 Like

This is silly to write before reading, but I absolutely love the concept of this! I absolutely love the idea of introducing more hard board game mechanics into roleplaying games because they bring out the emergent narrative in the same way as OSR games do–they’re both focused on stories coming out of the game turns out instead of the game being played to make a story. So, I adore this!

I use the knacks hack for knave too! I love how you implemented them here–to me, they are less like the original knacks and more like how the spells from GLOG and Mausritter improve based on how many “points” you invest in them.

I only have one feedback: maybe instead of converting dice rolls to pips, you can multiply the TNs you have by 2 or 1.5 so they can directly be compared to dice rolls! :slight_smile:

This looks super fun!

1 Like

Oh that’s a cool idea! In my own messing around with it, I found that you could 1/2 all the dice rolls and TNs to use the standard Milton Dice. Doubling everything would make it easier to understand for sure!

There’s a knacks hack for knave? That sounds cool, do you have a link to it? Torchbearer does something similar to knacks, but they call them wises. That’s where I first found them, but they’re pretty analogous to skills as well

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for taking a look

1 Like

Thanks for this article! :slight_smile: This sounds like a very fun minigame mechanic since the average for n dice is a result of n, and has the fun mental game of “roll high but not that high!”

Oh I didn’t realize knacks were like a general thing!

I refer to a very modified version of this guy’s blog post, which uses GLOG magic. It had a little too many combat oriented knacks for my taste so I made some of my own changes (and also added level-0 racial knacks because my players wanted to have special racial abilities). I think if my players weren’t coming out of the 5e mindset they would have liked to see more non-combative knacks too, but I wanted to design for their tastes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know what you mean! That’s an interesting take, I found this when I was searching earlier, maybe there are some more ideas here: https://laughleviathan.blogspot.com/2019/03/knave-knacks.html

1 Like

Definitely a fan of this moreso than the other! Thank you a bunch :slight_smile:

1 Like