Art and adjacent by Perplexing Ruins

Here’s another character portrait. Voidwalker, walks the plains at night, confounding the passerby with a blend of starry lights and lantern. It always carries one piece of gear or an item from its last victim.

8 Likes

These are so cool. I’d definitely love to play a game with these kind of illustrations.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for such kind words. Maybe someday…other images over at instagram under perplexing ruins. Cheers!

Aquaribear - Largely docile creature, immensely loyal to owner. If antagonized draws power from its aquarium, large feet and tail, to generate bone shaking convulsions in all within 12’ radius. Only its owner (partner really, think famous cowboys and their loyal horse) can issue the halting command.

5 Likes

I began this series of paintings last year, a time before I discovered role-playing games & art. I was working on a fusion of medievalism & collapsed environment & folklore. Started making, what I think of in hindsight, as science-fantasy characters, traveling in a world that had collapsed. I really like this one quite a bit. Acrylic and felt on canvas

11 Likes

Awesome. Has kind of a trippy, 70’s Moorcock cover vibe to it.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! Really kind. Will post more here, but images can be seen at https://perplexingruins.blogspot.com/

2 Likes

this one looks like the moth man to me

1 Like

Sweet! These would be perfect for that artpunk weird osr

Dimensional Punk Fungus
Here’s another monster portrait. The creature seems to me that it could have a quite whimsical, playful, even helpful disposition, but to catch its ire would create a rather desperate situation. They communicate and travel through interconnected portals, so many of them at a time can link themselves to a comrade’s location and instantly teleport to that spot. The party would then find themselves surrounded by a number of fungal sprouting portals. If their spore-horn should break the skin of another organic creature, that victim has only a short time to pour saltwater into the wound to kill the parasitic spores taking root, otherwise there vision will be comprised only of dimensional between space before their painful demise by ocular fungal sprouting. If the victim should survive this fate, they may reach the mystical visions so often coveted by seekers, but will have an otherwise vegetative life.

6 Likes

Lovin’ the color choice on the Punk Fungus!

1 Like

I absolutely love your pieces. Hopefully I can one day gather enough material and time away from regular life to create a module that utilizes your art. It’s right up my alley, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Thanks Bluiss, enjoyed painting them

Thanks a lot, maybe someday the work will be used to illustrate something

1 Like

Inspired by polar exploration. Thinking this party is wandering through a semi-flooded edge-land. The ambiguous intentions of the background character I hope allows for some interesting narrative hooks, as to where this group is coming from, and where they might be traveling to.

10 Likes

Hello everyone. Have just updated Perplexing Ruins blog to include downloads of One Page Dungeons I made. Any constructive feedback welcome. Here is one of them

6 Likes

I think of the Radiant Wanderer as a random wandering NPC in a desperate, wild, mutating world. If fortunate enough to cross his meandering path, this semi-coherent figure may share any number of strange wonders and rumors. He just may hold the key for safely reaching a cosmic portal, on the other side of which will bring cool breezes and wild visions to your inner eye. Then again, depending on your mood and his disposition, he may just offer simple directions.

6 Likes

Holder of Stellar Reminiscing

7 Likes

Hello everyone. Here is another felt painting. Based this around my idea of European portraits, Medieval/Renaissance (stiff, posed, narrative background) and the16th century Kometenbuch.

9 Likes

An attempt at more traditional rpg illustration using pens.

11 Likes