DungeonDraft - dungeon making software

This is impressive and his tutorial showcases just how easy it can be to create a quality map quickly. I am very pleased how these maps utilize a look more akin to a hand drawn versus a photo-realistic map. Highly, highly impressed with how this looks. Has anyone messed around with this software?

Announcement video where you can see the versatility:
https://youtu.be/lFwp-SBhXzc

To see it in action, here is a tutorial:
https://youtu.be/LKbwhrC4vRA

4 Likes

I have not used this software but have used Wonderdraft for map making and really like it.

Personally I prefer the old grid maps so I like using Grid Cartographer 4 for map making.

I have a love-hate relationship with Wonderdraft. It does it’s job pretty damn well but I have a lot of issues with the UI and their business model for art assets. Does DungeonDraft have the ability to import custom art assets yet?

You can add custom assets in Wonderdraft and Dungeondraft yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Onirim did you make that? If so, nice job! How long did that take?

What’s wrong with their business models for assets? You can pay for 2 asset packs right now that come directly from the creator that are onetime (cheap) payments and come with a license that allows you to use them in commercial products without attribution.

If you want additional assets you can purchase them from their creators directly or make your own.

Seems like a good system to me, not sure how it could be better honestly.

The UI is ok, it’s easier to use than some free and commercial products I’ve seen (lookin at you GIMP).

2 Likes

IMO, the software is not worth $30 with the included art assets. I would much prefer them to offer the software for free, then make a market place inside of the app to allow you to purchase assets from creator’s and Wonderdraft takes a small portion for their profit. You see this a with game engines or other platforms. If you’re looking to import custom assets you’ve created yourself, charge for a license on that. I genuinely shied away from purchasing assets from creators simply because I just spent $30 on the software itself and felt like that was already over priced, I don’t have that much money to invest in mapping software. They could do their creator’s a favor by lowering the software price.

I AM glad the software exists, and that people seem to enjoy it overall - things I am pointing out here are my opinion only and my marketing-focused brain might be taking a different look at this than others. Don’t let this stop you from trying Wonderdraft!!

I disagree entirely. The software is fantastic for a 1-time payment of $30 in comparison to the other SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) offerings on the marketplace like Inkarnate.

I hate SaaS in general, which is what you’d be getting for a model like yours. If you like that business model of continually paying for something rather than just owning it you might want to check out Inkarnate instead. You can get a lot more assets directly from the software that way, but I think Wonderdraft is worth the $30 just for the worldbuilding tools even if you didn’t use any assets at all!

I think Wonderdraft’s one-time purchase fee is much more fair to the user and the asset creators. Asset creators can get 100% of the profit (if they choose to charge) and customers can actually own something rather than having a monthly fee.

Not endorsing a service option or even a monthly option. It’s a platform model that’s gotten tons of success for things like Unity and other development platforms. Software free, anything beyond basic options includes charges, but you own what you pay for regardless of it coming from the software dev or the creator. It’s more akin to a marketplace. Not the suite approach like Adobe takes.

Inkarnate is behind the curve in terms of software dev IMO as well! Both Wonderdraft and Inkarnate feel like they were developed in late 2000’s in my opinion.

Glad you’re getting your money’s worth out of it! In my opinion, that’s just too much money for a glorified seamless pattern painting application. It’s honestly not a hard code to produce and you see indie map makers developing their own versions of the same idea to create their own bespoke maps.

Compared to a monthly model, hell yea - agreed! I didn’t mean to suggest using a monthly model that bypasses the profit creators get from individual purchases - I want to help encourage creator purchases by breaking down the hurdle of the cost for what I’d consider some underdeveloped software.

Long story short, I thought Wonderdraft was a great idea, paid the money for it, was kinda disappointed, then went ahead and developed my own software to handle what I needed done. I would still encourage anyone to try Wonderdraft if it seems to be a good fit for your needs. :+1:

*Would also like to mention I have no tried DungeonDraft AT ALL, my experience is only with Wonderdraft

1 Like

I apologize if I misunderstood or misinterpreted what you were saying by moving directly to SaaS (which I hate with a burning passion) and your model does sound really good - unfortunately I don’t think this model exists in this mapping space.

Do you have any examples of fantasy mapping software that adheres to a model you’re describing? I’m always willing to try something new (as long as it’s not SaaS :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Hey no worries - I could have given better examples.

From what I can tell you’re correct. That’s kinda why I voice my opinion on this matter in places like here and r/OSR - there’s tons of room in this space for someone to do so. Kinda hoping someone gets the inspiration to do it from my posts hahaha! I’m a bit too lazy to do it myself on such a large scale.

Not specifically for fantasy mapping, no. If you happen to already pay for Adobe suite (although you probably don’t based on your burning passion for monthly services :rofl:), Photoshop can really do all that you need if you take the time to set it up properly. Here’s a twitter post that blew up pretty recently when a well established grid map maker showed off his Photoshop setup as if it was software (he calls it a “tool” - it’s a set of Photoshop scripts). He’s using a dungeon map for an example but this certainly can be done with overland maps. There’s tons of tutorials on using repeating pattern brushes in Photoshop and I’m sure there’s some for other graphic editing software as well!

…

I use Affinity software products for precicely this reason :rofl:

I created a map with GIMP once following some tutorials on mapmaking, but I found Wonderdraft made the process much easier and the results were much better.

1 Like

This is where mapping software shines - it’s great for people that might not have an efficient workflow with graphic editing software. That’s why I am glad the software exists.

As an aside, I’ve actually been using Flowscape for my outdoor maps, it’s a whole experience! But I don’t want to hijack this thread.

Can’t wait to see some of the great DungeonDraft maps being posted here! I want to see them custom assets put to work. :grinning:

I have Flowscape as well but haven’t used it yet, unfortunately I find the results very PS2-era that I’ve seen from what people have posted.

For isometric mapping I’ve also had my eye on Dungeon Builder, but I find its licensing model a bit too much for me - especially the attribution rules.

1 Like

Sure, but Adobe’s monthly fee (or if you are independently wealthy and purchased Adobe Studio) is even more than the current price of $20 of DungeonDrafter.

Well yes, of course. I wouldn’t encourage someone to sign up for the Adobe suite purely as an alternative to Wonderdraft - that’s why I had to mention “if you happen to already pay for Adobe suite”. Tons of students already have it, for instance.

1 Like

Hahaha, yes, that’s a great way to put it. I would not disagree. I don’t use it for the graphics capability though, you lose like all the “wow” factor when you throw the grid on and point the camera down from a bird’s eye view anyway. I do enjoy it for the ambient animations when used on a TV Table combo but I mostly use it because it’s fast as hell to just randomize the placement of objects, paint a road, drop an inn, export, and go play.

EDIT: Maybe I’ll record a real quick video of how I use Flowscape this weekend to give some more clarity on this.

Back to DungeonDraft!

2 Likes

Please do, I am looking for ways to use Flowscape. If you’d like to post some of what you’ve already created that would be cool as well!

1 Like

I made a quick map using the DungeonDraft, took maybe 30 minutes. Still has some bugs, crashed on me once, so definitely still a beta, but so damn easy to make a map.

2 Likes

I’ve done this in 1 hour only, so it’s a good deal :slight_smile:

1 Like