How to Forget a God

I look at the ‘forgotten god’ trope and 5 ways to add some variety to it in your game

6 Likes

All the idea are pretty nice and interesting, but I think that “A False Deity” and “Erased” are the least used in games and modules.

On another note, you describe traumatic events (for the god), but I think you can go a bit more on the sad side (which is also a nice way to subvert the whole Howard/Lovecraft trope of alien evil gods from beyond):

Abandoned

The tides of time and history sometimes erase peoples. When their time came, this people didn’t get enough help from their god. Maybe they were invaded and their peaceful god was ill-suited to bless their spears, maybe it was a plague and the warrior god couldn’t cut the malady with its flaming sword. In any way, the survivors turned away, to different gods, and didn’t really bother to delete the god’s symbols and altars: most of them might have been repurposed to a new god, but many are still around - just nobody takes care of them. The god itself is probably still around, weak and grieving, waiting for a chance to prove itself, to show the world it is still a good god.

1 Like

the Lankhmar short story “Claws from the Night” by Leiber is a great example of this.

2 Likes