Is making a blog worth it?

I use Feedly to follow blogs. It makes it easy to keep up with updates and skim through the titles of posts from a lot of different blogs.

3 Likes

Came here to say this. The only issue I discovered is that it automatically marks posts as read after 30 days (and here I was hoping I’d be able to slowly trawl through the massive stack! Oh well)

Oh, and I frequently use blogs to host online character generators, online DM screens, that sort of thing. It makes it easier to access my own stuff if I’m on the go and just have my phone and nothing else.

2 Likes

I would not read that here or any social media, unles they are very short posts (no more than three or four paragraphs). Longer texts should be on a blog because blogs are designed for that purpose, reading long-form texts. Yeah, Blogger looks bad, but Wordpress looks great if you invest some time (a couple days) making it look the way you want.

But blogs are not social media, you don’t interact with people there, people read and comment if they want to, but it’s not common to leave a message in a blog.

This place looks fine for conversation, discussion of topics and mechanics and ideas, but the blog is where you put together your ideas.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. And it seems like there’s new compilers out there that let you easily browse stuff from the blogs you’re interested in from one place which is big for me.

1 Like

I use Inoreader in my phone, and add all the blogs I like. When I open the app, there are always new entries from some of the blogs. I also visit blogs and most have a blogroll that shows updates in other blogs.

In my opinion, blogs are great for the OSR.

1 Like

I check blogs early in the morning through feedly site or application on my phone.
I have found that there is also a small rpg/OSR group that found their way to tumblr that seems to work pretty well for following each other.
A limitation that I have found, and maybe missed the resolution, is a way to export your rss list so you can either back it up or you can share it with others who may have similar tastes in content.

1 Like

I use Inoreader to track blogs, I add them via RSS feed and get a list of updated posts whenever I check in; as for whether it’s worth doing a blog I think it’s good if you want to have a dedicated space for yourself to right and post ideas in whenever the mood strikes you, or as a central place to store links to other media (I use mine to link to my podcast). Whether you need that or not is up to you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes