Pandemic Haul [Blogpost]

Here’s some of my ttrpg pickups during the pandemic.
https://totmv2.blogspot.com/2020/12/pandemic-haul.html

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about getting Castle Xyntillan but I’m not really into megadungeons. I imagine it’s not as big as Dwimmermount or Stonehell, and more on the Operation Unfathomable type. Am I right?

Yeah definitely not as big. It’s a castle with 2 levels, a basement dungeon level and some towers. Its very compact and the thing feels playtested as hell. It’s pure quality.

1 Like

Castle Xyntillan details 290 numbered areas, which means it’s about halfway between Dyson’s Delve (123) or Khosura (123) and ASE levels 1-3 (403) or Barrowmaze Complete (445).

1 Like

Thank you, that’s helpful.

You think it can be used for incursions? Or it only works if you spend a lot of time exploring it?

1 Like

I ran a small campaign but you could probably do some one-shots if you start them at the castle.

1 Like

I know Melan has run it at a local con. I actually played in it a few years ago (back when it was a scrapped rewrite of Tegel Manor), and it was fine - whimsical and without an overarching narrative, but full of emergent hilarity.

2 Likes

“Start at the dungeon’s doors”, that some wisdom I don’t know where I got from, but I usually adhere to it to good results. Walking from home to taver to dungeon is not the adventure (usually).

I guess I will buy it.

Sounds fun! I guess I will get it.

1 Like

I’m not sure where I first read it either, but it works surprisingly well for one-shots and campaign starters. The fact that procedures to find and employ hirelings to round out the party is easy to proceduralise certainly helps.

2 Likes