So, what are you working on currently?

And, need any help? Maybe drop some feedback questions if you are looking for something specific

9 Likes

Hmm, I just switched my current campaign from a play-by-email game using homebrewed OD&D-based rules to Google hangouts ā€˜in personā€™ play using a homebrewed PbtA mashup of World of Dungeons and Freebooters on the Frontier (which is sorta OSR adjacent). Iā€™m currently working on some hacked overland travel rules that suit what Iā€™m up to a little better than the ones already in Freebooters. Weā€™re playing through B10, Nightā€™s Dark Terror, and Iā€™m enjoying hacking and carving that module to make it our own.

I also came up with yet another (cool to me) setting idea the other night, and who knows whether Iā€™ll still be motivated to explore it by the time this campaign wraps up (and my stack of end-of-semester grading goes away).
Cheers!

4 Likes

I am trying to write a self-made blog, I mean without need of WordPress or Blogspot or something (because I want to practice my html, css, etc. - language skills). Iā€™d like to write about some solo-sessions, OSR and non-OSR (for now just in german, sry, but I will try to translate!). Iā€™d like some design ideas, how the site will be looking, how the layout of everything should be. I already begun and it looks pure black with a parchment-background for the blog-posts. All text outside the post will be silver, so it is readable from the black background. (everything could change over time)
I would really appreciate some ideas! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you want to write the posts as HTML or are you planning to use some processor (like from Markdown to HTML)? Because in the latter case I might be able to help.

Anyway, Iā€™ve recently started hosting my own blog on Netlify (with a CI pipeline from Gitlab) and have been using CloudFlare for some time, so if you need help with any of those tools, just DM me.

2 Likes

Also, sharing skills between community members is a beautiful idea, which might be elevated into its own category. Iā€™ll keep you posted on updates and kudos to @Spwack for the idea!

3 Likes

Outside of schoolwork and the like, Iā€™ve been working on laying the groundwork for a Gangbusters B/X campaign with my players. In addition, Iā€™m trying to do planning for a Fantasy Western game using Tall Tales I am currently running but seem to have gotten into the ā€œIā€™ll just wing it from here on outā€ mode of GMing and planning.

On the homebrewing front, I am currently mulling over making an Adventure OSR ruleset called Knights on Bikes. Basically itā€™s taking the ā€œKids on Bikeā€ trope and dipping it in a vat of OSR Fantasy and adventure. Currently thinking of hacking together BECMI, Black Hack 2e and a couple of other rulesets into the system before turning to my players to see if they would be interested in doing playtesting of some form. I just had the thought of taking the Rank System from Mutants and Masterminds 3e for something, but Iā€™ll have to sit down with the Design Document and figure things out.

In a similar vein, Iā€™m thinking of returning to a few projects I have lost interest in and see if I can either mine out the ideas and use them for something else or reignite them and complete them.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve an ongoing Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures on Roll20, and I will start another campaign for the same game (in a jungle/Caribbean environment) the next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds cool. Not to nitpick, but shouldnā€™t that be ā€œKids on Horsesā€? :smiley:

1 Like

You are not wrong with that statement and I love that! Just to disclose some of my ideas, the ā€œKnights on Bikesā€ is due to the idea of Young Adventurers going out on their adventures riding bikes.

This idea plays into a Stamina Die mechanic for travel, the idea being that each hex of distance the PCs travel on bikes, horses or walking; they roll to see if they can travel further. Once the die is depleted, they would have to rest for the night before continuing. I will be writing your idea down though cause I love it!

That is a dope mechanic. Kind of Middle Earthy but more elegant. Or at least more simple, which is really what Iā€™m looking for.

World of Dungeons + Freebooters is a great combo! Working on my own heartbreaker that is somewhat inspired by these two titles myself :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you! Itā€™s something Iā€™ve been kicking around from project to project and slowly be mulling over for a while. When I get the ruleset to a point I feel like I can share it for play-testing and feedback, Iā€™ll be sure to post it here!

1 Like

Finishing up The Evils of Illmire so the beta PDF can be released to backers on 4/20!

2 Likes

We just finished mailing out our ZINEQUEST 2 entry and now are writing and playtesting a new setting book for OSE. This wonā€™t be the final layout but itā€™s been super fun to write. Harsh, barren lands, tons of factions to play against, and tons of new classes.

6 Likes

I went from not one of my 5e-playing friends wanting to help me playtest my homebrew system set in Hell to getting two different consecutive groups for mini-online-campaigns for the quarantine, so thatā€™s been cool. Iā€™m really finding a lot of little mistakes to be fixed up and weā€™re also getting some great play.

2 Likes

So, here is my own WIP list:

• Obviously, Iā€™m working on this forum (mostly learning about the fine art of being a moderator)
  • A series of posts on my blog about adventurersā€™ food; this is especially difficult, since English is not my first language and I havenā€™t written something that big in a long time
  • Iā€™m trying to set up an automated room/dungeon generator using Freebooters on the Frontierā€™s procedures (which I love, but is really too slow to do on hand)
  • Iā€™m frankensteining something to play lichJammer. This one is currently on the back burner because Iā€™m out of ideas and a playtest group, but I would like to give it another try.
3 Likes

Smaller, diverse groups of playtesters are better for the product overall IMHO. You get a variety of opinions and since itā€™s not your friends theyā€™re thinking about the game and setting and less about you or their perception of you as a friend. Glad to hear you had success with it!

If you donā€™t mind me asking, where did you find the players?

2 Likes

Sorry, I guess I didnā€™t make it totally clear in my original post - theyā€™re just my ordinary group, finally persuaded by quarantine boredom to try something new. The second group are friends of mine, as well, but not my ordinary group.

Hey itā€™s me your friendā€¦

Kidding! But still, Gotta love to see players try new things. My players did something similar as our year long Planescape game has been on hiatus for several months so they were willing to take almost anything.

1 Like

The quarantine has honestly worked wonders for me in terms of hobbies. We play practically every day, and Iā€™m getting constant notes from players that playing online via text allows everything to have a much more consistent, serious tone and allows for better roleplay.