Some Mock Covers

I’m not great with photoshop, but making mock covers at the beginning of the process helps keep me motivated throughout the process. It can also help figure out which name looks best. Here’s a couple to get us started.

8 Likes

Not bad! Do you know what page size we are aiming for? I’m also wondering about potential printing capability if we ever get to that point - should we stick with pure black and white for imagery?

I think we should definitely keep the “AN OSR ZINE” statement. Something to take note on is usage of fonts as well, gotta make sure we’re good to use them and if they require crediting.

3 Likes

Real quick mock up for a chromatic layout, aiming for simplicity. Wanted to get some thoughts stirring on different styles. This is using some Pit fan art I did, which I’ve given to @Kingroy23 for his use, but wanted to give an example of chromatic art on pure white.

Edit: Art isn’t displaying correctly on the post, odd. Second try!

15 Likes

I really dig this (pun intended).

2 Likes

Damn, that’s cool! Great font choices too, looks smexy!

1 Like

This looks awesome.

Since “Pit” is in the title, does it make sense to exclude “OSR PIT” from the bottom-right and only include the logo?

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Great idea. We could almost use this as our “seal”, beyond just the zine!

Might be counter intuitive as we are discussing removing redundant text, but we could use one of the free use OSR logos. Here is one from MSJX:

Just more to consider!

1 Like

This is awesome. That pit is scary looking.

1 Like

Wow thats beautiful!

This project looks amazing–would love to be involved but it seems like you have plenty of helpers already!

2 Likes

There’s always room for more! What capacity would you like to help?

1 Like

I’m good at proofreading and textual analysis–I work as a college professor–and am also a composer. Not sure if audio is a possibility, but that’s something I can contribute for sure.

2 Likes

Only just saw them, Dope! covers. Nice one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s awesome. We could definitely package an MP3 with the pdf. Potentially anyway.

1 Like

This is pretty awesome!

If we’re going with a PDF and we don’t stick to monochrome, we should at least have a separate print-friendly version.

I like this one!

Late response, sorry. I think 6x9 hits a pretty sweet spot for size but gives us some room for spreads. B&w is probably the way to go. Though we could go 3 or 4 colors if need be.

Printing I think the usual idea for a collaborative zine like this is to set it up at cost on lulu. Something this size should only be 4 or 5 bucks. Now one potential snag is that lulu just went through a redesign and it’s currently broken. If they don’t resolve their issues, we can move to drivethrurpg or another such place.

1 Like

Is that one still available to use? I was under the impression the artist withdrew permission for people to show it on their work.

That would be a shame. I still see it on some Heimat Der Katastrophe covers, but maybe they have special permission to use it.

1 Like

As far as I know, Stuart Robinson (the creator) banned it from use for people who were making “offensive” products. Of course that is a relative term but I don’t think our zine will be considered in bad taste. Of course, if we want to use that we should look further into it but I’m not sure it’s entirely off the table.

1 Like