The Big Introductions Thread

Hi everyone, my name is Jeff. I started out roleplaying with AD&D 2E with most of the rules ignored, got into a bunch of other RPGs, had a long dry spell, got excited again by post-Forge story games stuff, and then found my way into the OSR. I was pretty active on Google+ until they killed it, and I have been blogging here sporadically for the past ten years, but have recently migrated here.

Currently, I’m running a campaign in my homebrew setting called Fellhold, which is a sprawling, anarchic Restoration Era-ish megacity ruled by Lich Kings and Crabmen Merchant Houses, with a Half-Dwarven mafia running the streets. If you’d like to get a feel for the other kinds of stuff I’m into, check out the blogroll on the first link (haven’t gotten it working yet on the new blog).

I’ve really missed having an active place to discuss this stuff that isn’t a Discord (too frenetic for me), so I’m looking forward to getting to know some folks here.

7 Likes

Hey, Jeff! I really liked your earlier Fellhold posts; hope we’ll see more of it eventually.

1 Like

Thanks very much, @YnasMidgard, there’s more on the way!

taichara here. I used to run an OSR blog on blogspot way back, and have a new one on Wordpress that I really need to post to more often >.>;; The old was for BD&D (Rules Cyclopedia) and I still really like OSE; I do tinkering with the Black Hack and -Hack-based stuff, and noodle around with a tinyrpg partially based on it. And post little tables of treasures. I need to get back to that, oi. Knave and Maze Rats look really interesting also and I’ve added them to the pile (also UVG/SEACAT).

I’ve wandered back and forth through the scene for ages at this point (with a looooong gap in the middle) and developed a habit of lurking even when I’m around. I’m working on it? *sighs*

5 Likes

Hi I’m Lazy Litch - I make OSR stuff
Thanks to everyone involved in putting together this new platform

Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/lazy__litch/
My Mailing List : https://mailchi.mp/5033e9ac9cf7/lazylitchemaillist

10 Likes

Welcome @Lazy_Litch and @Skeleton_Beam!

@Kingroy23, with the help of another forum, wrote a nice guide for new users, which you might find useful (it really helped us to learn how to navigate this place). If you need more tips/suggestions, feel free to open a topic or message us admins.

2 Likes

Hey, eveyone. It’s Vagabundork and I run the Chaos Magick-User blog. Let’s have fun.

10 Likes

Hi there - John here, creator of the Red Dice Diaries podcast and Youtube website, big fan of the OSR and have dipped my toes in the water of creating published works for it, have just–as of time of writing this post–wrapped up an ICRPG game set in the Midderlands and am preparing to run an OSE campaign set in a fantasy world based very loosely on the American Colonial period.

6 Likes

Hey ya’ll. My name is Andrew Knapp and I am an avid tabletop gamer and collector. My D&D drug of choice is holmes, b/x, and becmi. I am into several OSR iterations of these rulesets, my two favorites being LotFP and Blueholme. My preferred style of game is with black powder firearm technology and I am currently in the process of making a hexcrawl based on slavic folk fantasy. On the collecting side, I focus on TSR era stuff and, of course, all the fine works put out in the OSR by people like you! I am around on Youtube as sr2joker and have a blog I just recently rebooted called rpgmatchlock. I look forward to joining the conversation.

5 Likes

Hey all!

My name is Sofinho. I write the blog http://aloneinthelabyrinth.blogspot.com/, I’m often on the OSR discord or r/osr and I check in on twitter about 6000 times a day because it’s terrible for my mental health.

Play and run most permutations of D&D (usually stop at anything after 2e tho… apart from GLOG or Swords & Wizardry!) as well as Maze Rats and Mothership and my own proto-neolithic B/X spin-off PARIAH.

Looks like a lot of familiar faces so I’m happy to be here.

9 Likes

Hello.

FilthPig, Filth, or Pig please

Been playing ttrpgs since 4e in 2013.

Goblin Punch and Coins and Scrolls were my two big introductions to the OSR and they blew my mind. I knew I was dissatisfied with 4e, but couldn’t articulate my frustrations and the OSR felt like something made specifically for me.

Since then, I’ve lurked and played on and off.

3 Likes

Hello. I’m Rob, and over the past twenty years or so I’ve played in and ran D&D and other games with various amounts of success. Currently playing with my long-time gaming table of friends in a home-brewed hexcrawl sandbox using the GMs hack of 2e, and currently running HPS’s The Lost Isle using Knave.

Sometimes I blog at Penny Ventures on things like interactive fiction, improvisation, mechanical subsystems, and solo and duet play. Currently I’m working on Crook, which I think will eventually be a toolkit for running thiefy games for a single player and GM.

3 Likes

Lots of new Pitties, here! Welcome @RedDiceDiaries, @Sr2joker, @AloneInTheLabyrinth, @FilthPig, @RobMagus!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Please, feel free to ask any question you have about how this forum works either here or in my PMs.

4 Likes

Hey, I’m Liam,

I go by bordercholly for my music and nerd stuff on the internet. I live in Ithaca, NY, and work night shifts at a giant haunted library. I’m a newish dad, and it’s the best.

I’ve been playing TTRPGs off and on since about 2004, when I started playing DND 3.5e with my brother and our friends. I got into Pathfinder for a bit when I moved to the midwest after college, and started playing again with some 5e about 3 years ago with my old high school crew.

Corona has really increased my RPG playing. I just got into OSR games and am loving all the DIY spirit in this community.

Cheers,
Liam(bordercholly)

7 Likes

Hello. Really new to tabletop games. After finding the amazing pool of DIY Print-and-Play tabletop games, I discovered all the cool activity in RPGs. Discovering that it’s so much vaster than D&D was eye opening. Been in the arts for years, have written reviews for literature. RPGs seems to fuse both of those interests. Learning to play using Basic Fantasy RPG solo

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Max.
I co-wrote an upcoming MERP-inspired game called Against the Darkmaster
I also have a small blog where I occasionally post random RPG-related stuff, but it’s all in Italian, I’m afraid.

Nice to meet you!

5 Likes

Hi all, I’m a long time OSR aficionado and I’m mostly here to stay up to date on the latest news. It has been kinda hard to keep up since the fall of Google+, but it’s nice to see new communities popping up :-).

4 Likes

There can be only one Max here sir…:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Welcome @bordercholly, @perplexingruins, @MaxVsDarkmaster and @Whidou!

I’m happy to see all this new people in the Pit!

Also, we passed the 200 users mark sometime ago and are getting close to 300. We should start digging deeper.

4 Likes

I’ll fetch my katana, see you on the rooftop at midnight!

3 Likes