The Big Introductions Thread

Hey everybody! I’m Nick Roman, nroman on the OSR Discord. I run the Espharel blog, which is coming up on a year-and-a-half of posts! I’m relatively new to the OSR scene and RPGs in general, but I’ve never let that stop me.

I mainly post content for the GLOG, but I’m also diversifying. You might know me from my Saints and Shrines sub-system, my in-progress underwater exploration game, and my Elder Scrolls GLOGhack. I’m currently running a Castle Xyntillan game online.

6 Likes

Love that loot table! Looking forward to seeing more of what you come up with.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

I’ve been playing RPGs (and chiefly running them) for 15+ years now. We mostly played D&D 3.0, Vampire: the Masquerade, Shadowrun, Rifts, WFRP, Dark Heresy, Werewolf: the Forsaken - and since 2009, loads of old-school goodness. Having played around with Whitebox and B/X a lot, I’ve been slowly moving towards crunchier systems (AS&SH, Mythras, Zweihänder).

I blog over at https:ynasmidgard.blogspot.com/ - I mostly post reviews nowadays. I’m also a copy-editor (recent works include Dark Streets & Darker Secrets, On Downtime & Demesnes, and Against the Darkmaster), and I’m virtually always looking for more work.

I’m not too keen on running games online (as a referee, I very much require the physical presence of my players to stay in the zone), but as a player I’m usually down for some casual dungeon crawling, schedule permitting.

6 Likes

Hello. I’m Patrick Stuart.

With the help of artists, editors and layout people, I made Silent Titans, Fire on the Velvet Horizon, Veins of the Earth, Deep Carbon Observatory and a handful of other things.

I blog at falsemachine.blogspot.com.

11 Likes

Hello! I’m kind of new to the whole OSR thing. I mostly play what you guys would call “storygames” (even though i despise the term and think the whole concept should die in a ditch). I’m responsible for the Italian translation of Dungeon World (the Creative Commons one, not the capitalist we-dont-sell-pdfs publisher one).

I guess my gaming history can be covered as such: started on D&D3, then played D&D4 for a few years, then tried Dogs in the Vineyard and Apocalypse World and got into Forge games. Dungeon World is my most played game.

I’ve been currently playing a campaign of Freebooters on the Frontier (a OSR-style Dungeon World hack) together with @thekernelinyellow. I’m also enjoying a copy of Old School Essentials and will try to run it soon.

P.S. This card-based look is really hard to read. Also, no dark theme? We use the default Discourse theme in our instance and it works fine.

6 Likes

Welcome everybody!

@Froggy we are currently discussing new themes in the Ideas and Suggestions and New theme feedback topics, take a look there.

There is a dark theme.

1 Like

Hey, I’m Chris McDowall and I write stuff at bastionland.com, notably Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland.

Look forward to seeing how this platform goes!

14 Likes

Yes, there is, but I’m the first one to acknowledge that it’s still a work in progress.

And welcome @bastionland :smiley: We are always happy to have new Pitties!

Hello all!

I came into the hobby a bit sideways, my first ever game was a 1.5 year long Burning Wheel campaign I played in during college. Since then I’ve jumped around to a lot of systems, spending quite a bit of time with Dungeon World.

More recently I’ve been into OSR or OSR adjecent systems, running a lot of Mothership and Electric Bastionland.

I blog sporadically at academyofdoors.blogspot.com where I sometimes even post things that are good.

10 Likes

Hello !

My name is Andre Novoa and i’m the designer of the 17th century minimalist and Death Robot Jungle LP, amongst other things. I’m also the person behind the indie publisher Games Omnivorous. I love conceptual, curated and artsy stuff.

You may check us out here.

Ta-da!

8 Likes

Love your work! Death Robot Jungle is so awesome and creative.

Hi, I’m Jason. I’m obsessed with hacking Into the Odd, Knave, and other lightweight systems to run paranormal horror, weird sci-fi, and an embarrassing number of soulslike games. I live in the Boston area.

9 Likes

Hi Friends I’m Amanda, I do illustrations for Codex Magazine & elsewhere & and I’m working on a zine called You Got A Job On The Garbage Barge. I don’t have a blog but I post drawings in the middle of the night on instagram here

11 Likes

Wow, your artwork is great! Welcome to the Pit!

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Tuomas. I work as a sound designer and sound engineer in Helsinki, Finland. I write a lot, but release little.

I started playing RPGs around 1998 with MERP and some mostly rule-less campaigns, playing and GMing, but really didn’t play very often until a few years ago. I found the OSR through leafing through LotFP books in my gamestore, and watching Questing Beast reviews. Reading LotFP was a revelation - it married the rules-light approach from my youth to a more rigorous ruleset and the DnD tradition.

I’ve been hanging around the Twitter OSR scene for a while (as @TuomasVau). I like the all the fresh, unfiltered ideas from creators, but dislike the drama, which is why it took me about 30 seconds from hearing about this forum to signing in.

I have a blog here http://sunkenplanets.blogspot.com/ (edit: blog not updated)

8 Likes

I haven’t written a welcome post in a while and now there are so many new pitties here!

So, welcome @AwkwardTurtle, @anovoa, @JasonT, @Amanda and @SunkenPlanets :smiley:

Since this is a pretty new community, I’m really happy to see it grow and to hear that so many content creators are coming here to discuss and exchange ideas.

4 Likes

Hello!

I’m Bryan. I played/DM’d my first game in the fall of ‘79, using the Holmes Basic Set and quickly “graduated” to AD&D. Though at the time, it was all just D&D to us. I played with some regularity until the mid-80s when, with college graduation, gaming largely came to a halt.

In about 2012, searching for some of the joy I remembered from back when, I decided to look into gaming again. I can’t recall what rabbit hole on the interwebs I followed, but I ended up in OSR blogs, and have been lost in them since.

In the interim, I have regularly played in decidedly un-OSR games(Hackmaster 5ed and D&D 3.5-E6) and have recently started running a campaign sandbox using what I am calling FrankenDnDiy, a mishmash of B/X via OSE and LotFP with GLOG casting and many ideas stolen from blogs Ten Foot Polemic, Last Gasp Grimoire, Coins and Scrolls, d4 Caltrops, and others.

I’m encouraged that this site is here, in part, to allow a paced discussion of OSR ideas-Discord and Twitter make me dizzy. Thanks to the organizers for setting this up! And thanks to those of you who blog and create content!

8 Likes

Hello I post on the Chromatic Cauldron blog. I hope that The Pit will be a positive space. I am a bit stretched too thin over multiple social medias but I will try to visit once in a while. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Welcome @Evlyn and @Dungmeister!

I’d really hope you’d find this place interesting and welcoming (and slow-paced - I understand Dungmeister’s troubles, most social media are to quick for me) enough. Enjoy your stay!

1 Like