The Big Introductions Thread

Hi, all. I’m MarquisZardoz, from Denton, TX. I don’t get a chance to play in many games, but when I do I usually run DCC RPG. I’m a big fan of the +/-1 d mechanic, character backgrounds as skills, Mighty Deeds for warriors, and (of course) the 0-level funnel. I don’t generally write my own adventures, but I have a lot of fun fiddling with published adventures before I run them.

3 Likes

Hello,

I thought I had posted here but I realize I never had. My name is Justin, and I’ve been playing rpgs my entire life, having been introduced to BECMI and AD&D by my uncle early on.

I love gaming of all sorts, in terms of OSR-style games I especially love 3LBB D&D and kind of a more free-formy pre-D&D “Arnesonian” style of gaming.

I’m currently in a really fun Castle Xyntillan Swords & Wizardry game, and I am running a weekly OSE game that has kind of a Mount & Blade vibe. I also have a blog I sometimes post to at https://aboleth-overlords.com

Nice to meet you all!

4 Likes

Mount & Blade is th best! It is probably the closest to how I imagine domain management.
If it had Vancian magic and dungeon exploration, too, it would be the perfect D&D-esque video game!

3 Likes

Hello! I’m a writer and a longtime player of rpgs, old-school and otherwise. Don’t have much of an internet presence, but I wanted to check out the Pit and get back into writing my own stuff for tabletop games. Nice to meet everyone.

7 Likes

Baffling that this hasn’t happened yet. Skyrim is still the closest for me.

1 Like

Welcome to the Pit, Luz!

1 Like

After some time of casual lurking, I’ve decided to properly join this group. It seems like it’s relatively small but not empty, which is about the right size for things to be good. It reminds me a bit of G+ in its format which is promising. I hope this goes well.

Anyway, I’m Max, aka u/quantum_metaphysics on reddit, aka maxcan7 on google and itch, aka the writer of the Weird & Wonderful Worlds blog and creator of Pixels & Platforms: The Platform Crawl RPG.

I’m primarily interested in world-building, and especially very capital-W Weird worlds, but I’ve gone through kicks of doing more game design-oriented posts as well, particularly for Tunnels & Trolls and OSR systems. I used to do more javascript random generators, both for my own works and for other popular works from the OSR and blogosphere, but I do so much coding for my job that I don’t do much javascript for my blog anymore.

7 Likes

Welcome @quantum_metaphysics! Your blog looks wonderful.

Ahh how funny, I’m using java at the moment to try to put together a bot on Discord to run post-by-post Knave games. I definitely don’t blame you for not wanting to do more coding though!

2 Likes

Thanks! I love coding, it’s not that I don’t want to do more, it’s just a different kind of creative energy and right now, for blogging, I’m trying to fill a kind that I don’t get as satisfied from my job. I do eventually want to do more neutral network stuff for tabletop though, especially now that I’m much more competent at it than I was when I created my neural network monster generator

1 Like

Hi!

I’m interested in the discussions going on in the OSR space and have been trying to explore the kinds of play that exists. I think it’s interesting how some things in the OSR scene intersects with what people view as more narrativist games like Blades in the Dark, but at the same time the design and play philosophies seems to differ quite a bit.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the discourse!

3 Likes

Hello, fellow Pitties! I’m PapaJoe, also known to many as Joe Kilmartin. I’m one of those people who stopped playing B/X - AD&D when it seemed that a lot of nerdish paranoia concerning “game balance” stumbled into AD&D 2e. I played itinerantly through the 90s in games like Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, and FengShui. I came back to gaming the night I heard of Gary’s passing, missing old friends and activities, discovered OSRIC, the playtest for LotFP, and the beginning of the OSR blogosphere. 4 years ago I ran a fun B/X - LotFP hack. Now I’m a little obsessed with Dungeon Crawl Classics and the GLoG. I live in Toronto, ON, Canada. I have a passion for introducing people who never thought they’d “play D&D” into gaming. Maaaaaaybe starting a blog of my own, soon, too.

Also, “hey!” to @curiousepic and Ben Milton just off the top of my head - I love the stuff you guys make!

6 Likes

You’re in the right place my friend! Welcome @antro!

This is really touching, thanks for sharing this.

Welcome @PapaJoe! Look forward to reading more of your posts. :crossed_swords:

1 Like

Hi everyone, my name is Jeff. I started out roleplaying with AD&D 2E with most of the rules ignored, got into a bunch of other RPGs, had a long dry spell, got excited again by post-Forge story games stuff, and then found my way into the OSR. I was pretty active on Google+ until they killed it, and I have been blogging here sporadically for the past ten years, but have recently migrated here.

Currently, I’m running a campaign in my homebrew setting called Fellhold, which is a sprawling, anarchic Restoration Era-ish megacity ruled by Lich Kings and Crabmen Merchant Houses, with a Half-Dwarven mafia running the streets. If you’d like to get a feel for the other kinds of stuff I’m into, check out the blogroll on the first link (haven’t gotten it working yet on the new blog).

I’ve really missed having an active place to discuss this stuff that isn’t a Discord (too frenetic for me), so I’m looking forward to getting to know some folks here.

7 Likes

Hey, Jeff! I really liked your earlier Fellhold posts; hope we’ll see more of it eventually.

1 Like

Thanks very much, @YnasMidgard, there’s more on the way!

taichara here. I used to run an OSR blog on blogspot way back, and have a new one on Wordpress that I really need to post to more often >.>;; The old was for BD&D (Rules Cyclopedia) and I still really like OSE; I do tinkering with the Black Hack and -Hack-based stuff, and noodle around with a tinyrpg partially based on it. And post little tables of treasures. I need to get back to that, oi. Knave and Maze Rats look really interesting also and I’ve added them to the pile (also UVG/SEACAT).

I’ve wandered back and forth through the scene for ages at this point (with a looooong gap in the middle) and developed a habit of lurking even when I’m around. I’m working on it? *sighs*

5 Likes

Hi I’m Lazy Litch - I make OSR stuff
Thanks to everyone involved in putting together this new platform

Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/lazy__litch/
My Mailing List : https://mailchi.mp/5033e9ac9cf7/lazylitchemaillist

10 Likes

Welcome @Lazy_Litch and @Skeleton_Beam!

@Kingroy23, with the help of another forum, wrote a nice guide for new users, which you might find useful (it really helped us to learn how to navigate this place). If you need more tips/suggestions, feel free to open a topic or message us admins.

2 Likes

Hey, eveyone. It’s Vagabundork and I run the Chaos Magick-User blog. Let’s have fun.

10 Likes

Hi there - John here, creator of the Red Dice Diaries podcast and Youtube website, big fan of the OSR and have dipped my toes in the water of creating published works for it, have just–as of time of writing this post–wrapped up an ICRPG game set in the Midderlands and am preparing to run an OSE campaign set in a fantasy world based very loosely on the American Colonial period.

6 Likes