The Gygax 75 Challenge by Ray Otus

@danzag absolutely! For me this challenge is making me not think to far ahead which is good. I have add, so it happens to me often.

1 Like

@Civman this is awesome! There’s tons of radio dramas on archive.org

2 Likes

Thank you, Magical Frontier (the setting covered in the quoted text above) is a setting I’ve been working on since last fall and been running a game in the setting since this past January. I hope to continue running it and develop it more both at the game-table but also at the writing-table.

1 Like

I started working on the dungeon yesterday. The entrance is located inside a witches hut. When you open an armoire a set of magical stairs are inside.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve finished the second week!

This one was easier, but I was nearly moved to make the random encounters table bigger because I had to leave out some nice ideas.

3 Likes

off topic: I like your slippers.

1 Like

Rough week for me, but I found time today to learn Wonderdraft and make this.

Week 2:

Click to zoom in to see the details.

4 Likes

My slippers? They have the skyrim logo on them. My wife made them

Same. I redid my encounter table twice. I actually liked putting a limit on it and working in the confines of 11. I’m working thru the dungeon and it’s hard. Sorta. I won’t likely post too much as I intend to run it. When I’m all done I’ll put up a google drive doc.

In the end, I stuck with the limit because I feared that otherwise I would overdo it and bloat the map, but I still have some ideas about things to put around, maybe I will use some in the dungeon or keep them for the greater region.

1 Like

Week 3

Took a bit of time but we have a dungeon! I’d love your feedback, I’m pretty pleased with it.

Tasks
  • Describe the entrance to the dungeon in 7-10 words:

• A burned down church dedicated to Law.
  • For each level, include d6+6 rooms/areas and connect them.

• Make sure they aren’t connected like a string of pearls (all in a line) and that a number of rooms have multiple connections.
      • Level 1 - 12
      • Level 2 - 12
      • Level 3 - 8
  • Include d3+1 ways up or down per level.

• These exits may overlap, e.g. a stairs down on level 1 could be the stairs up on level 2 and/or level 3.
      • Level 1 - 3
      • Level 2 - 4
      • Level 3 - 3
  • Come up with three themes (one per level).

• Roll d3+2 for each to generate a budget. Example themes: tomb raiders, spiders, machines, fountains and pools, or fungi. As you stock the dungeon you will spend your budget to incorporate references to the themes via ornamentation, creatures, sensory details, etc. It is okay for a theme to “spill over” into the level above or below.
      • Level 1 - Catacombs - Budget 4
      • Level 2 - Hidden Sanctuary - Budget 3
      • Level 3 - Reliquary - Budget 4
  • Make a list of 11 different monsters and place them.

• You can put them in rooms or passages, and on any level. Generally, the more dangerous the creature the lower it will be found. If any of the monsters help sell one of your themes, remember to reduce the budget accordingly.
      • Acolytes (pg. 140)
      • 2nd Level Cleric
      • Djinni (pg. 151)
      • Efreeti (pg. 157)
      • Ghouls (pg. 161)
      • Green Slime (pg. 166)
      • Living Statue (pg. 172)
      • Rats (pg. 185)
      • Shriekers (pg. 189)
      • Skeletons (pg. 189)
      • Zombies (pg. 203)
        • Level 1 - Catacombs - Budget 1

• Level 2 - Hidden Sanctuary - Budget 3

• Level 3 - Reliquary - Budget 2

• Spread d6 features throughout the dungeon.

• Features should be interactive: traps, puzzles, or unusual objects like a talking door or magic pool. If any of them reinforce a theme, reduce its budget.
      • 2 features

• Puzzle Door - Hidden Sanctuary
        • Trapped Door - Reliquary

• Level 2 - Hidden Sanctuary - Budget 2

• Level 3 - Reliquary - Budget 1

• For each room/area, note whether there is treasure.

• To determine this, roll a d6. If the area contains a creature or feature, there is treasure on a 1-4. Otherwise, there is treasure only on a 1. If you have random treasure tables, you can go ahead and roll up each of these piles to save time later.
  • Name three wondrous items and locate them in the dungeon.

• Pull them from your source material or make them up. Again, if they reinforce a theme, reduce that theme’s budget.
      • Ring of Water Walking
      • Helm of Alignment Changing
      • Spell Scroll, 2 Level 2 Arcane Spells - Continual Light and ESP
  • Spend any remaining theme budget adding detail.

• Note unusual smells, weird lighting, odd stonework, statues or other decorative elements, disturbing noises, messages written on the wall, corpses of previous adventurers…

• Full of coffins/bones/skulls/etc.
    • Level 2 - Hidden Sanctuary - Budget 2

• Soft crimson continuous light emanates from sconces throughout the main room, purple drapes with depictions of human sacrifice and torture adorn the walls, statues of kneeling priests taking communion from bowls of blood
    • Level 3 - Reliquary - Budget 1

• empty chests, all looted from before. The living statue did not care about these robberies. Dead bodies of those who tried to get past the guardian into the rooms containing the efreeti and djinni.
Point-to-Point Map Revisions

Point-to-Point

Monster Pop

Feature Pop

Treasure Pop

Wondrous Pop

Final Map:

2d6 Random Encounters:
This dungeon has a standard random encounter chance. If a random encounter takes place, roll on the below table:

Result Encounter
2 Lawful Paladin
3 Trader
4 Djinni Illusion
5 Bat Flyby
6 2d10 Rats
7 2d4 Sekeltons
8 2d3 Zombies
9 Sound of Moaning
10 Efreeti Illusion
11 Graverobber
12 Wight
Encounter Details

(2) Lawful Paladin

A wandering paladin in service to Law is encountered by the party. Treat as a level 2 fighter wearing plate that is immune to all disease and can lay on hands once per day, healing 1HD.

They can join the party as a retainer, taking no treasure but still taking their portion of XP as long as the PC’s goals align with theirs. The paladin will not continue traveling with the party outside of the dungeon. If the paladin has been encountered once, treat a result of (2) on the above table as no encounter.

Oath:

• Protect the lawful
  • Destroy undead
  • Eradicate Chaos

(3) Trader

A wandering trader investigating the dungeon in search of treasure is encountered by the party. Treat as a level 1 fighter wearing leather. The trader will sell any generic adventuring items at 90% of cost and buy any treasure at 70% of cost, up to a total of 200GP, which is the amount they carry. The trader will not engage in combat and will always run away. If the trader has been encountered once, treat a result of (3) on the above table as no encounter.

(4) Djinni Illusion

The ethereal form of the djinni held captive in room 27 appears, silently beckoning the PCs deeper into the dungeon. After this brief visit, the incorporeal form disperses, whispering, “deeper….deeper…” as it vanishes. If the illusion has been encountered once, treat a result of (4) on the above table as a reroll.

(5) Bat Flyby

A swarm (4d8) of bats flies by the PCs. They are not immediately hostile; however, if the PCs attack first they use normal encounter rules.

(6) 2d10 Rats

The party encounters 2d10 rats searching for food. Use normal encounter rules. If the rats escape they return to their den in rooms 15 and 16 and will inform their giant rat leader of the intruders. If alerted, the giant rat will coordinate the defense of his lair.

(7) 2d4 Skeletons

2d4 shambling skeletons wandering the dungeon. Use normal encounter rules.

(8) 2d3 Zombies

These zombies were created by the priest of Chaos encountered in room 10. The zombies will attack the PCs on sight and pursue them relentlessly. If these zombies are destroyed, treat a result of (8) on the above table as a reroll. If these zombies were somehow waylaid or the PCs ran away, treat a result of (8) on the above table as the same zombies finding the PCs again.

(9) Sound of Moaning

A ragged groan permeates the halls of the dungeon. The source of this sound can be determined to be coming from the most direct route to room 26, even if this route is behind a secret door.

(10) Efreeti Illusion

The ethereal form of the efreeti held captive in room 28 appears, silently beckoning the PCs deeper into the dungeon. After this brief visit, the incorporeal form disperses, laughing as it vanishes. If the illusion has been encountered once, treat a result of (10) on the above table as a reroll.

(11) Graverobber

A graverobber looking for treasure begins to tail the party, looking for an opportune moment to surprise them and rob them. They use non-lethal attacks with a blunt weapon and attack as a Level 3 fighter wearing leather. The graverobber prefers to wait until a single PC is isolated. Then, they will knock the PC out, pilfer any valuables they were carrying, and escape the dungeon.

(12) Wight

The party encounters a wight. Use normal encounter rules.

Room Descriptions:

For this dungeon, it is assumed 1GP = 1XP. It is suitable for a normally sized group of low-level characters. The main draw is the ruins of the church; however, there is also a ruined shack around 100’ to its rear. If the players investigate the church continue to entry (1). If they investigate the shack see entry (20).

1. Burned Ruins of a Church of Law

2. Entrance to Catacombs

3. Tomb with Shriekers

4. Tomb with Ghouls

5. Shrine of the Dead

6. Burial Vault

7-8. Tombs with Skeletons

1. Crypt of the Unknown Cleric

2. Hidden Sanctuary

11-14. Prayer Rooms

15-16. Prayer Rooms (Rat’s Lair)

17-18. Prayer Rooms

1. Inner Sanctuary

2. Groundskeeper’s Shack / Ladder to Surface

3. Entrance to Reliquary

4. Illuminated Hallway

5. Sanctum

6. Vault

7. Library

8. Reliquary

9. Djinni’s Room

10. Efreeti’s Room

(1) Burned Ruins of a Church of Law

These ruins contain the burned remains of a once prominent church dedicated to Law. There are broken pews and a scratched and scarred marble floor. Towards the rear of the room is the cracked and broken remnant of stained glass windows - the shards littering the floor.

A grandiose pulpit still stands defiantly near the rear of the remains of the building. Behind the pulpit is a tile that has been removed from its place, revealing a staircase downward. Stairs are dark.

Smell - charred wood

Hear - your own muffled footsteps on the marble floor

(2) Entrance to Catacombs

A 30’x30’ room holding several unlit braziers, an open passageway leads to the east to a hallway that breaks off to the north and south, a closed doorway at the end of each.

There is a full-wall tapestry hiding a small doorway leading to the east. Any inspection of the tapestry reveals this hidden passageway. Unless otherwise mentioned, all ceilings in this section of the dungeon are 10’ and all walls are made of large stone bricks.

Smell - dust and mold

Hear - everything echoes

(3) Tomb with Shrieker

This tomb is overgrown with mushrooms. A giant mushroom with toothed orifices hides in the rear of the room. If the PCs are carrying a torch it begins shrieking immediately. If they are not, it begins shrieking once they enter the room. The shrieker’s alarm will last 3 rounds, drawing the 10 skeletons from room (7) in the first round, the 8 skeletons from room (8) the second round, and the 2 ghouls from room (4) in the third round. The alerted monsters from rooms (7) and (8) will use the secret doorway, ripping down the tapestry and revealing it.

Searching amongst the rotten woodwork of coffins the mushrooms are growing in reveals 36gp, 15ep, 10sp, and 75cp.

Smell - earth and must

(4) Tomb with Ghouls

This tomb contains 4 stone, open, empty coffins and, if they weren’t drawn by the shrieker in room (3), 2 ghouls.

Smell - death and decay

Hear - your own muffled footsteps

(5) Shrine of the Dead

This room is empty outside of the mark of a lawful god on the floor and several unlit braziers lining the walls. There are two closed doors, one to the east and one to the west.

If the PCs investigate the southern wall, a slight draft of cold air can be felt. Running their fingertips along the bricks reveals that the wall can be pressed inward and moved to the side, revealing a staircase.

The staircase is unlit. If the PCs are carrying a torch they can see a handle on the rear of the secret door that heads west. At the bottom of the staircase is another hidden door leading south, which has another handle that operates the sliding wall.

Smell - incense from braziers

Hear - everything echoes

(6) Burial Vault

This massive room is cut directly into the earth. It has a 30’ high ceiling and 4 different levels of recesses cut into the walls. Remains are put here to decompose in the open air. Each corpse is in varying states of decay and has 1cp put over each of their eyes. There are 1500 bodies total.

Smell - pungent stench of rotting bodies, dust

Hear - oppressive silence

(7) Tomb with Skeletons #1

This tomb contains 10 wooden coffins. If they weren’t drawn by the shrieker in room (3), each coffin is closed and contains a skeleton inside. Opening any of the coffins causes the skeletons to burst through their prisons and attack.

Smell - dust and mold

(8) Tomb with Skeletons #2

This tomb contains 8 wooden coffins. If they weren’t drawn by the shrieker in room (3), each coffin is closed and contains a skeleton inside. Opening any of the coffins causes the skeletons to burst through their prisons and attack.

At the rear of the room is a small wooden chest. It is unlocked and contains 26gp, 10ep, 31sp, and 84cp. Interacting with the chest does not alert the skeletons.

Smell - dust and mold

(9) Crypt of the Unknown Cleric

This room contains two unlit braziers and a closed, large, ornate stone coffin. It also contains 4 zombies that were created by the cleric now in room (10). The zombies were tasked with guarding the coffin and will not attack the PCs unless they make any attempts to open the coffin or if the zombies are attacked first. If the PCs leave the room, the zombies will not chase them, even if the PCs use ranged attacks to harass the undead creatures (to his detriment, the wording of the command the cleric gave the zombies was very specific).

Inside the stone coffin is a staircase that descends downward into the darkness. If a PC runs their fingernails along the east side of the staircase they will feel a small gap where the secret door is.

Smell - death and decay

Hear - everything echoes

(10) Hidden Sanctuary

This long room is lit along the sides with magical purple braziers that burn continuously. The ceiling is 20’ high. The floor is covered with symbols dedicated to Chaos and indecipherable scribblings. There are four doors interspaced evenly along the northern wall and four more mirroring them on the southern side of the room. Examining the rear western wall are 4 acolytes and their level 2 human cleric leader. He is wearing plate, attacks with a spiked mace, and has inflict wounds prepared. The group carries a total of 43gp. The cleric carries a gem worth 100gp.

The cleric wants:

• to obtain the lamps containing the efreeti and djinni in the reliquary
  • to destroy Law
  • to sew chaos

The acolytes want:

• to die in service to chaos

Smell - sweet, intoxicating fumes from the braziers

Hear - the flickering hum of the braziers

Puzzle Door

At the rear of the Hidden Sanctuary is a large stone doorway with the following written on it:

for those that seek the reliquary you must do for me this

entrance will be denied ’til blood makes the nine read six

Below the riddle is the Roman Numeral IX. The answer to the riddle is for someone to write “S” before the the “IX” in blood.

(11-13) Prayer Rooms #1-3

These rooms are all identical. There is a crimson rug on the floor embroidered with a symbol of Chaos and two purple burning braziers. The ceiling is 10’ high.

(14) Prayer Room #4

This room is similar to rooms (11-13). There is a crimson rug on the floor embroidered with a symbol of Chaos and two purple burning braziers. The ceiling is 10’ high.

Hidden beneath the rug is a trapdoor. It is easily identifiable by standing on the rug as the ringed handle creates a small area that is slightly higher than the rest of the rug and will cause people walking on top of the rug to trip. It is not identifiable from the doorway.

Under the trapdoor is a small, unlocked wooden chest that contains 7 gems, 1 worth 500gp, 1 worth 100gp, 1 worth 50gp, and 4 worth 10gp.

(15-16) Prayer Rooms (Rat’s Lair) #1-2

These rooms are identical. There is a gathering of trash, broken wood, and bones that have been gathered from other areas of the dungeon. A small hole has been burrowed between the rooms to accommodate the rats. There are 31 normal rats in room (15) and 16 normal rats in room (16). A single giant rat commands his brood from room (16).

If the 2d10 Rats random encounter has taken place and the rats escaped, they will inform their giant rat leader of the intruders. The giant rat will move his entire brood into room (16) and set them in defensive positions behind their piles of trash. The remainder of the rats from the random encounter will be added to the total number of rats.

Within the trash, a pile of treasure in the rear of the room can be easily identified from the doorway of room (16). It contains 5 glinting gems, 1 worth 1,000gp, 1 worth 100gp, 2 worth 50gp, 1 worth 10gp, a potion of clairvoyance, and a scroll of infravision. If the PCs attack and it goes poorly for the rats, the giant rat will grab the gem worth 1,000gp and attempt to escape the dungeon.

The giant rat wants:

• to protect his treasure horde
  • to grow his brood
  • to survive

The rats want:

• to protect their home

Smell - rat feces

Hear - the chittering and rustling of rats amongst the trash

(17) Prayer Room #5

There is a crimson rug on the floor embroidered with a symbol of Chaos and two burning purple braziers. The ceiling is 10’ high.

(18) Prayer Room #6

This room is similar to room (17). There is a crimson rug on the floor embroidered with a symbol of Chaos and a tapestry with the same symbol on the western wall. There are two burning purple braziers. The ceiling is 10’ high.

Behind the tapestry is a hidden doorway that can be detected by running their fingernails along the bricks. A PC will need to press on the stone bricks to push the door inward, it will the slide to the side.

(19) Inner Sanctuary

This room is dark and nondescript outside of the doors on the northern and western walls. In addition there are 2 wooden chests on the western wall. They are both locked. The first contains 4,000cp and 4 pieces of jewelry, one worth 400gp, one worth 1,200gp, one worth 1,300gp, and one worth 1,700gp. The second contains 8,000cp and two potions, one of control plant and one of delusion.

The door to room (10) cannot be opened from this side.

Smell - the scent of the braziers in room (10), but not quite as strong

(20) Groundskeeper’s Shack / Ladder to Surface

Groundskeeper’s Shack

This ruined shack is to the rear of the burned-out church. The roof has collapsed and there is a collection of busted furniture within the interior including a few chairs, a dresser, and a bed. Nature has slowly begun reclaiming this old homestead, and vines and roots have begun encroaching on it.

There appears to be nothing of value; however, if the PCs check under the broken bed they will find a trapdoor that leads to the hidden sanctuary below.

Smell - earth, dirt, and grass

Hear - sounds of nature

Ladder to Surface

Behind the northern door of room (19) is a long hallway cut directly into the earth. It has a low ceiling roughly 5’ high. There are wooden braces interspersed every 15’ or so and is pitch black.

Room (20) is a 30’x30’ chamber dug into the earth with wooden scaffolds and supports. A stone ladder leads upwards towards a trapdoor in the ceiling 60’ above.

Adhered to the top rungs of the ladder is a green slime, which the PCs can see if they look near the ceiling.

Smell - earth and dirt with a slightly acidic edge that singes the nostrils

Hear - a slight dripping noise from above

(21) Entrance to Reliquary

This chamber is illuminated by two braziers that are flanking a stone door, the left one burning pale blue, the right one burning a crimson red. The stone door has a large stone handle below an intricate golden lock.

The door is unlocked and can be simply pulled open. The lock hides a sprung needle trap which can go off if interacted with.

Smell - a mix of pungent incense and herbs, the prior emanating from the red brazier, the later from the blue

Hear - the flickering of the brazier flames

(22) Illuminated Hallway

This long hallway is illuminated by pale blue braziers running along the left wall and crimson red braziers running along the right wall. The hallway ends at a simple wooden door.

If a PC runs their hands along the right wall they will feel a draft of cool air coming from the secret doorway. If they press the wall at this location the wall will push inward and slide to the side.

Smell - a mix of pungent incense and herbs, the prior emanating from the red brazier, the later from the blue

Hear - the flickering of the brazier flames

(23) Sanctum

A meditation chamber that only contains a rug on the floor embroidered with a symbol of Chaos. It is pitch black inside and has a 10’ high ceiling. There are two wooden doors, one on the eastern wall that is unlocked and one on the western wall that is locked.

The door on the western wall can only be unlocked from outside the room. There is a button on the north side of the hallway leading to the room. Pressing it causes the door to unlock.

Smell - nothing

Hear - nothing

(24) Vault

This room has an unlit, normal brazier next to a wooden door on both the eastern and western walls. The wooden door on the western wall has a keyhole but is currently unlocked. The key to the door is hanging next to the door.

A PC running his hand along the northern wall will feel a cool draft coming from the secret doorway. If they press the wall at this location the wall will push inward and slide to the side.

Smell - nothing

Hear - your own muffled footsteps on the stone floor

(25) Library

This library has an overstuffed leather chair and a well-crafted wooden table holding a glass decanter of good brandy with matching snifter. The walls are covered with bookshelves, save for a small section cut into the southern wall that contains an unlit fireplace.

The bookshelves contain books on the history and teachings of a cult dedicated to Chaos. One of the books reveals the history of the dungeon and how the church above was a front to collect tithes in the name of Law while secretly funding their nefarious plots. Another book details the capture of a djinni and an efreeti into magical lamps - it states neither is to be trusted.

One of the bookshelves contains a spell scroll with the continual light and ESP spells engraved on it.

Smell - pleasant smoky scent of burned hardwood

Hear - nothing

(26) Reliquary

The reliquary is illuminated by lit braziers, pale blue on the northern wall, crimson red on the southern. If a PC runs their fingertips along the northern wall they will find a crease that reveals the secret door. If they press on it the door will drop inward, then slide aside.

On the far eastern side of the room is an iron living statue. It is not immediately hostile; however, if the PCs attempt to pass it to enter the rooms behind it it will first block their path with its arm. If the warning is ignored it will attack. The iron living statue will also defend itself.

The iron living giant wants:

• to prevent entry to the djinni’s room and the efreeti’s room
  • to warn potential treasure seekers that the power contained within the rooms behind him is not for mortal men

Hear - everything echoes, especially the iron living giant’s booming voice

(27) Djinni’s Room

The djinni’s room is lit by pale blue braziers. There is a pedestal in the middle of the room, upon which a crystal lamp is laid. Inside the lamp is swirling, pale blue air.

If the lamp is picked up and rubbed a djinni (lesser) will appear. It will promise power, wealth, and a magical ring if he is freed and allowed to destroy the evil efreeti in room (28).

The djinni (lesser) wants:

• to be set free
  • to kill the efreeti in room (28)

Smell - pungent herbs

Hear - the flickering of braziers

(28) Efreeti’s Room

The efreeti’s room is lit by crimson red braziers. There is a pedestal in the middle of the room, upon which a crystal lamp is laid. Inside the lamp is swirling, crimson red fire.

If the lamp is picked up and rubbed an efreeti (lesser) will appear. It will promise wealth and a magical helm if he is freed and allowed to destroy the evil djinni in room (27).

The djinni (lesser) wants:

• to be set free
  • to kill the djinni in room (27)
  • a PC to put on the helm he offers as a reward

Smell - pungent incense

Hear - the flickering of braziers

Negotiating with the djinni and efreeti

Each creature wants to kill the other. If a PC removes a lamp from one of the rooms the being is effectively “freed” and will be able to use the full extent of their powers. Their first act will be to go into the other’s room and destroy their lamp, ending their existence. They will then reward the players as follows:

If the party helps the djinni , the creature will provide the PCs with a ring of water walking and 1,000gp created with its conjure metallic objects ability. The gold will disappear in 1 day (the djinni neglects to tell the party this part).

In addition, the djinni will use his illusion ability to make the PCs’ armor sparkle. He will then inform them they now cannot be killed by mortal men, then disappear. This is a lie.

Once the djinni leaves the dungeon (either by being killed or by disappearing) the pale blue braziers go out and the purple braziers burn crimson red instead. Any still-burning brazier removed from the dungeon will be extinguished.

If the party helps the efreeti , the creature will provide the PCs with a helm of alignment changing and 1,000gp created with its conjure metallic objects ability. The gold will disappear in 1 day (the efreeti neglects to tell the party this part).

The efreeti will stick around until someone dons the helm of alignment changing. He will wink at the unlucky PC, then disappear laughing.

Once the efreeti leaves the dungeon (either by being killed or by disappearing) the crimson red braziers go out and the purple braziers burn pale blue instead. Any still-burning brazier removed from the dungeon will be extinguished.

Attempting to trick the djinni and/or efreeti will almost always end poorly. The creatures are quite cunning and any betrayal by the PCs will be responded to with deadly force. Attempting to help both is nearly impossible, as the first act of either creature is the destruction of the other.

That said, each is completely vulnerable as long as their lamp remains in their respective room. The PCs have the power as simply smashing their crystal lamp will destroy the being within (although neither the efreeti nor the djinni would ever disclose this information to the PCs).

Both creatures are unable to make any harmful actions towards the PCs until they are freed. Words, lies, and trickery are another story.

4 Likes

This is fabulous! Great job

Thank you for the kind words!

Great idea! I finished the Week 1 prompt (and consequentially finally got around to starting my blog) all in one day, but the other parts will probably be much more spread out. Give it a read if you’re interested:

Constructive criticism is more than welcome!

-D&B

2 Likes

Great job! I need to get back at it. I realized “always go with your gut”. I got derailed when I decided to change the dungeon location. Starting dungeon again

2 Likes

@maderschramm Any further progress? I’d love to see how you finish the challenge strong especially after that epic dungeon.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the kind words about my dungeon!

Yes, there is further progress - I post my updates every Thursday so you should see week 4 tomorrow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Week 4

□ Find or sketch out a city map.

Lia Mill

Lia Mill is a small town surrounded by a stone wall. It has good farmland on the bank of a river. The town grew quickly due to a well in the center of town that was blessed long ago by a benevolent god that produces an infinite amount of clean water. In years pass, the well was under threat by barbarian tribes that sought to claim the well for themselves which lead to the construction of the walls. While there hasn’t been an external threat for some time, that hasn’t stopped the general from refusing to relinquish his power. The townsfolk now live in fear of a standing militia in the town, face unneeded tariffs and tithes, and the strange whims of an egotistical and inept leader. All that said, it is a very safe place to live and visit - as long as you follow the rules.

□ Name several shops were the most generic items can be bought:

• Banker - Lia Mill Community Banking and Loans
  • Fletcher - The Broken Arrow
  • Smith - Blackheart Arms and Ferrier
  • Stable - Morning Glory Stables
  • Tavern - The Silver Spaniel
  • Inn - Sleepy’s Inn
  • Provisioner - Jim’s Goods
  • Trader - Gremdor’s Buy, Sell, and Pawn

□ Locate and describe each of the following in a short sentence:

• A political faction and its rival

The ruler of the town, General Folkston, took command by force during bandit raids. It has been over 15 years since there has been a real threat to the town, yet he has not rescinded his control. There is a group of community members that want the town to return to democratic rule - they meet in secret at night in the bank vault.

• The place where the characters could lose all their money

The Inn has an opium/gambling den in the basement. Although technically illegal, it is allowed to exist by General Folkston as a way to appease the town members. It has deep hooks to Gremdor’s Buy, Sell, and Pawn which allows instantaneous “extra funds” - anyone who runs out can have their debt forgiven by joining General Folkston’s militia.

• A place where people gather to hear news or speak their minds

The bank vault. This is the only place where truly free speech will go go unnoticed by General Folkston, whose punishments range from imprisonment, unreasonable tariffs, or exile.

• A secretive guild hall and its reputation

Contrary to its name, Blackheart is only a ferrier for those outside of General Folkston’s militia, keeping the populace underarmed in comparison to the general’s army. He is easily the best smith in the region, even capable of shaping magical items into different forms (e.g. he can smelt a magical longsword into an axe, or refit magical plate from human-sized to dwarf sized). He is not a fan of his restrictions, and wishes to share his craft with more people, but abides by the general’s rules as otherwise he’d be locked away and his family would go hungry.

• The best place to obtain a hot meal and clean bed (or a crappy meal and a flea-infested pallet)

The Silver Spaniel. Sleepy’s is a front for General Folkston and is really only treated as a barracks. You can get room and board there, but it will always be low quality compared to the Silver Spaniel, which strives to treat all patrons equally. Since Sleepy’s offers essentially free services to the militia, you won’t find anyone in league to General Folkston at the Spaniel except his spies.

• A religious center and the god(s) to which it is devoted

General Folkston only allows the worship of the god of Law in Lia Mill, the shrine of which is located in his keep. Tithes are excessive (and required) and go to funding his militia. Worship of any other gods has to be done in secret.

• A feature unique to this town (view of a natural wonder, a strange clock, a healing spring, etc.)

There is a well in the center of town that is magical. It produces clean water that never runs dry. The water cannot be poisoned or tainted in any way.

□ Create 5 NPCs, each with a “DNA.” D is for a Distinguishing trait of feature. N is for what they Need most. A is their Agenda, secret or otherwise:

1. Banker - Krysowilries the male elf
  • D - always clean cut and very proper
  • N - needs customers to compete with Gremdor, who has direct backing from the general
  • A - truly wants to help the community, offers good rates. Wants the general removed from power.
  1. Fletcher - Elasrilial Crescentfletcher the female elf
  • D - strong arms and very muscular
  • N - a contract with the general, right now he’s left out and is jealous of James Blackheart
  • A - is a suck up to the general and a general snitch, the town doesn’t like him
  1. Smith - James Blackheart the male human
  • D - wirey for a blacksmith, always covered in soot
  • N - to be freed from the general’s control
  • A - he wants to practice his art for everyone, won’t risk his family until the general is removed from power
  1. Trader - Gremdor the male gnome
  • D - very old, wrinkly face that makes it hard to see his eyes, very hard to read
  • N - the status quo to remain unchanged
  • A - Gremdor is doing very well for himself under the general’s rule, he doesn’t want anything to change and will do everything in his power to make sure it doesn’t. He is paid by the general for anyone who he recruits to join the militia in lieu of paying their debts.
  1. Tavern - Hansmsstatil the male dwarf
  • D - very young for a dwarf, only 20 years old
  • N - customers to compete with Sleepy who has a direct contract with the general
  • A - unlike Elasrilial, Hansmsstatil would rather try to compete on even grounds, he works hard to ensure his food his good and rooms clean; however, it’s an uphill battle. That said, he hasn’t taken any sides in the conflict against the general
  1. Inn - Sleepy the female human
  • D - cranky old woman who is always sitting
  • N - people to piss off
  • A - doesn’t really give a shit about anyone or anything but herself - has no opinion on anything going on (at least that she’ll share)

□ Hirelings:

1. “Mercenary Work” is forbidden by the general. Any hirelings will need to be brought in from outside Lia Mill. Any good fighters willing to join as a hireling have either already joined the militia or left town.

□ Generate 7-9 rumors that are going around the town:

D10 Rumors:

True, False, Partially True (T/F/PT)

1. PT - Krysowilries’s vault is must be holding more gold than you can imagine, I hear he has extra guards posted at night.
  2. F - The well’s water is cursed. Although it’s always clean, it placates those who drink from it.
  3. T - James Blackheart would do anything for his family.
  4. PT - If you’re interested in making a little coin, check out the basement at Sleepy’s.
  5. T - If you run out of cash, see Gremdor. He’s always willing to make a deal.
  6. F - I hear the general is going to relinquish his rule soon.
  7. F - Sleepy used to be quite beautiful.
  8. PT - Hansmsstatil is unhappy with the general’s rule.
  9. T - Careful what you say around Elasrilial, I don’t trust her.
  10. T - The god of Law is the only god here. Make sure you make it to the shrine every week to pay your tithe.
3 Likes