The OSR Pit Appendix N

The Buried Giant, a fantasy novel by the Nobel Prize-winning writer Kazuo Ishiguro. The book’s quiet take on a mythical post-Roman, post-Arthurian Britain inspired my return to tabletop role playing games after a two decade hiatus.

The Buried Giant

5 Likes

Added to the Appendix N, thanks ZT

Sounds bloody amazing! I have to read it, thanks.

1 Like

For me personally, I have a couple of entries for myself from a couple of Genres and my most recent/continual readings. Need to expand my readings and just do more consistent reading if I am going to be honest.

Fantasy

• The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
    • More recent read, first major trip into the world of Fantasy. This showed me that not having bullet proof heroes who wield powerful magic can be interesting and engaging.
  • Red Sonja Comic (2019) by Dynamite
    • Similar to the previous entry, the Red Sonja Comic is really my first trip into the world of Pulp Fantasy. The punchy visceral imagery is nice as helps me get idea for combats and the like.

Science Fiction

• Transformers (2019) by IDW Publishing
    • I’ve been a transformers fan since I was little and it’s kind of a no brainer. The Series in both the comics and TV shows helps me generate conflicts between separate factions even it is “That one is doing evil things” at times.
  • TMNT (2011) by IDW Publishing
    • I’ve been a TMNT fan for as long as I have been a Transformers fan, TMNT helps me work out how Non-Human races can work in a world and make interesting characters beyond what their Race+Class combo is.
  • Star Wars Clones Wars
    • One of my foundational series when it comes to how I think a Sci-fi series can work and behave. Showcases how wars can be conducted within a given story or campaign.
  • Star Trek TV Series
    • Shows how large and dynamic a universe can be but also how many stories can be told within it over many years.

Western

• The Cherokee Trail by Louis Lamour
    • An perfect showcase on how a whole adventure can center around a single town and the powers within it.
  • Last of the Breed by Louis Lamour
    • An excellent on a wilderness adventure and how the weather and the world itself can be a danger to both good guys and bad guys.
  • The Badland Trails by Ralph Compton
    • Similar to the previous entry, but it shows how a “Guard the Caravan” quest can go when the enemies are more than a random group of bandits but effectively another team of adventurers who want to attack what the PCs are guarding.
2 Likes

Can you pick a few and provide a few sentences around why they provide inspiration for you?

I’ll be happy to edit the list to include them then!

Just updated the listing on my thoughts.

1 Like

Updated the OP with your inclusions, thanks for contributing!