Greetings denizens of the Pit,
The concept of a community-created zine came up earlier this year, and a lot of good discussion spawned from the idea. The general consensus was that the zine will be split into two parts; the first revolving around the setting, and the latter portion of the zine will be dedicated to miscellaneous articles on different stuff on the OSR sphere. After some internal discussion, graphic design work, and planning, we are finally ready to start putting this thing together!
Slots and Spreads
The zine is going to be 48 pages + cover. With the Table of Contents/credits taking up two pages, that leaves 46 pages of content or 23 spreads. There’s two different types of slot you can sign up for, a single spread (2 pages) or a double spread (4 pages). 11 single spread slots, and 6 double spread slots are available.
If you want to reserve a slot: reply to this post with the type of slot, and the content you’re going to create. Adding some specifics is encouraged, as other contributors could draw inspiration or avoid redundancy based on what you’re writing. In the reply, also indicate whether you have access to a layout software (Affinity Publisher is ideal, but Indesign templates are on the way). You’re only allowed to sign up for one slot but this might change in the future.
If you’ve contributed already…
Some members here have already brainstormed some tables, monsters, locations etc. If you’re on the list below, sign-up for a slot already
- Various art pieces by @LF_OSR, @Xelor, @KTrey, @KidGoKart, @Nasterisk (color art)
- d12 reasons the town fell into the pit @SunkenPlanets
- d8 reasons why exploring the tunnels is a bad idea @thekernelinyellow
- d10 resources that can be found under the earth @LF_OSR
- d20 things you might find in the tunnels @spittingimage
- d10 kinds of people you’ll meet in town @SunkenPlanets
- d6 flora and fungi of the pit @KidGokart
- Tunnel exploration mechanics @SunkenPlanets
- Tunnel pointcrawl generator (digital) @Max
- d20 names for the undergrounders @KidGokart
- d8 groups and factions @spittingimage
- Lair of the Earth Krakens mini adventure @SunkenPlanets
- Digmaid stats + rumors (has art) @thekernelinyellow and @KidGokart
We’re aiming for the zine to be roughly 50/50 in regards to setting stuff/misc OSR stuff though it’s not a problem if either side garners more submissions. Teamwork is encouraged. Templates (.afpub) and assets (.afassets, includes tables and picture frames) are included in the Google Drive link below. Please use the text styles and formatting included in the template. Also if you sign-up for a slot, try your best to fill up the pages (e.g. try not to sign-up for a double spread and then only use three pages).
When uploading there’s a folder for both .afpub and .pdf so please put your submission in both with the correct file format.
If you don’t have access to layout software, you can upload your submission to the ‘Need Template’ folder and someone with the proper tech can help you out. Once all submissions have been uploaded, the plan is for a master-layout person to compile all the files into the final zine; ordering the various articles in a sensible arrangement.
Deadlines: TBD, but assume late August for submissions, and late September for layout team/finalizing.
- Willow Review by @maderschramm
- Stepwell adventure by @LoneArchivist
- Resource Table + Art by @LF_OSR
- tentative Spell Components by @Vacuumjockey
- Angler Bullfrog by @FilthPig
- d100 Oddties by @MrVekyl
- Digmaids by @thekernelinyellow
- Archaeology/Excavation rules by @bordercholly
- 3d20 dungeon-room creation by @Spwack
- d20 Tunnel Denizens, Dangers, and Encounters by @reptilianesoterica