What are you actually playing?

I run my mashup of Old School Essentials (classes, monsters, equipment), Black Hack (roll under ability checks) and LotFP (death, extra combat options for fighters). Playing since January.

I also play solo homebrew Traveller using Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition and a ton of modules. Playing sporadically for a few years.

Also, when playing in other people’s games, 5e.

2 Likes

Your solo play while reading idea sounds cool! My UVG has yet to arrive, but I’m gonna do that too.

2 Likes

Wow, this sounds great. Are your solo rules in a sharable state? I’d love to take a gander over them.

2 Likes

Still in the works! But I certainly suggest anyone familiar with Knave to check out A Lonely Knave, a solo addition to the rule set. Great start to streamlined solo play.

2 Likes

Playing nothing. Anyone happen to be outside Chicago by Fox River?

4 Likes

Online games are your friend :slight_smile: I think @Oni is still looking for players for his mega-Dungeon.

3 Likes

As am I! Link

As @Kingroy23 pointed out! Yeah I’m running the ASE megadungeon as open table using OSE. Next game is monday.
Besides that I’m about to play in a 5e game this weekend. I’ve never played 5e before and have to admit my curiousity. It gets bashed from all sides but I doubt it could be as popular as it is if it didn’t have anything going for it. And I get to play! That’s a rare occurance.

2 Likes

I enjoy my 5e game, but combat really slogs, other than that it’s a good system.

2 Likes

As a player I’m playing Lamentations of the Flame Princess but with their eldritch cock play test rules and just finished a Red and Pleasant Land. As a DM I’m running World of the Lost which is also from Lamentations of the Flame princess. It’s an African setting with dinos. Looking to start a new game though as a DM for Cube World which is a Zak’s homebrew setting. Lot’s of great stuff for that.

3 Likes

There are a few good fixes for this out there. One I’ve found that really helps without any real mechanical change is split-side initiative. Roll a Initiative check vs DC 10+enemy Dex, whoever passes goes Now, then enemies, then Later. When it’s players turn, ask them all rapid-fire what they are doing this round. Don’t resolve anything until everyone has decided, and prompt them to chose quickly. It makes a huge difference, because you don’t need to recap the situation for every single players turn, just once at the start of the round, and maybe once again in the middle

3 Likes

I was more referring to the sheer amount of hit point enemies have, everything is a big sack of HP players have to whittle away at, and player HP is inflated as well, leads to heroic combat but a single encounter can take an hour+.

2 Likes

I’m running two 5e games, but I’m playing Spire and Classic Traveller. I’ve also played and run Mothership last month too. I’m using lockdown to move into some new games I’ve not got round to trying. I’m really bad at learning new systems though…

2 Likes
  • GMing Old-School Essentials where we’re currently playing The Hole in the Oak. We had a rocky start and players weren’t digging into it quite yet, but last session there was a moment where I just sat back and listened to them weigh their options and things felt like they were headed in the right direction.
  • GMing D&D 5e with Tomb of Annihilation. This is my board game group so they’re a bit more passive about the action and they’re not willing to learn a new system, but we’re having a good time with it.
  • Playing in a game of Lady Blackbird. We are mostly just trying it out after pausing a game of Forbidden Lands that I had been running for the last 18 months. I like the system’s simplicity and we’re starting to figure out the metacurrency and how to effectively use it.
1 Like

I’m DMing 5e for some students and my own Uncommon Dungeon rules. I’m also now a player in a campaign using my homemade ruleset, which is really neat. Gaming is good these days!

1 Like

was playing swords and wizardry game but had TPK conveniently before pandemic hit hard - as I can’t see a lot of them people anymore

now planning a sci fi space ship heist one shot using some light rules picked from different OSR systems and including the dice step/classless skill system from serenity rpg

then also planning another one shot for a different group that will use knave - will be the first game I ever run online I’m excited for that

2 Likes

What’s your homebrew? My OSR leans hard on its FF roots

Swords and Wizardry is the system, and Castle Xyntillan is the game. I only started using S&W when I started this campaign. Before then, I was really only familiar with the GLOG, but CX is built on S&W, so it was the easiest and best option. Currently 13 sessions in, with the latest session report being written (I’ve been procrastinating terribly).

2 Likes

I’m running an open game of Gully-Toads and also some OSE at forthcoming cons.

I’m playing in a few Call of Cthulhu games and a 5e Theros game.

My system of choice is LotFP but I’m taking a break from running games. Right now I’m playing in a Mutant Future game one of my regular players is running.