What single movie best captures the OSR for you?

sinbad
For me, it’s 1977’s Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. It’s cheesy as hell, features a cursed prince, a powerful witch antagonist, a journey through many lands, different classes, successful charisma checks, prehistoric monsters, and, perhaps most importantly of all, all the hirelings are slain by the end.

What movie most captures OSR for you?

6 Likes

I really enjoyed “onward” it was very dnd

3 Likes

Ninja Scroll! One my favorite action movies. The characters are super skillful, some with supernatural abilities, but very mortal. Very human motivations all around. Clever tactics triumph over raw power.

I’ve yet to see Sinbad. I might look for a copy in my local video store :+1:

6 Likes

The Princess Bride. One of my ALL time favorite movies, but still to this day gives me OSR vibes.

Just watched Dragonslayer from the 80’s for the first time and it really inspired me! Very cliche but it gave me OSR vibes.

6 Likes

You know, I’ve watched this 1000 times and I never really thought of it as OSR but I can see it. Wesley is a pretty good example of why Charisma isn’t a dump stat.

Very underrated flick! Would be a great adventure for sure.

2 Likes

Hahah, well said!

The characters really make that movie what it is for me but I really love the forest scene with the rats, made me always think of adventures. I really love the group / party they develop as well, makes it feel like a party of PC’s to me.

My wheeler at work has been dubbed “fezzik”

1 Like

A Field in England.

A bunch of deserters wander around aimlessly then take hallucinogenic mushrooms and invent some nonsensical side quest that ends up with party members attacking each other.

8 Likes

Not fantasy, but The Ballad of Buster Scruggs for some reason. It’s the style of storytelling and the situations the characters are in is what you would encounter at my table.

6 Likes

Love how bleak that movie is.

1 Like

I need to watch this. Cohens can do no wrong in my book.

1 Like

Conan the Barbarian with Arnold FTW

9 Likes

Great suggestions so far. As far as fantasy films, the original Conan is hard to beat. I’m going to suggest Bone Tomahawk for my choice. Simple and effective premise, great and varied characters making up the “party,” and an unknown and alien enemy to go up against. It’s a great horror film, great western, and the shocking bits of violence come fast and deadly. There’s even some great random camp encounters.

3 Likes

Classic. The soundtrack is epic af as well.

That is a terrific movie and I remember thinking it felt a LOT like a D&D adventure. If you like that, check out The Burrowers. It’s a nice companion piece and another great horror western.

Seen it. I thought it was decent, but it wasn’t until Bone Tomahawk where I was like, yes, this is it!

1 Like

Not a movie but Robin of Sherwood is a fantastic television series that encapsulates the OSR really well. A small group of robbers routinely defeating more powerful adversaries through trickery and clever planning.

As for movies, The Mummy is always a classic.

5 Likes

Also one of my favorites. Do you prefer OG Robin Hood or Sean Connery’s son?

2 Likes

Hell yes. Max von Sydow as King Osric was sheer perfection.

1 Like

Never heard of this! Definitely going to be checking it out, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes