What else do dragons hoard?

Thought it would be fun to brainstorm other things that dragons hoard in their dens. My original train of thought was that it would be more fun (and less racist?) if dragons owned banks instead of goblins.

1. Other people’s money
  2. Scientific journals and/or historical records
  3. Fine porcelain and silverware
  4. Stock certificates from a profitable monopoly
  5. Mass-produced collectible figures
  6. Fossils of long-extinct creatures
  7. Clothes left out to dry by villagers
  8. Exotic or otherwise rare weapons
4 Likes
  1. Religious symbols of any kind, for curiosity
  2. Important thoughts, collected in mind crystals
  3. Old fangs, claws and scales they shed over time
  4. Securely stored alchemical substances that react with their elemental breath
2 Likes
  1. Nobility, of all shapes and sizes, includes crowns and thrones and heirs
  2. Sculptures
  3. Gardens
  4. Siege weapons
2 Likes
  1. Stories and legends about dragons
  2. Books
  3. Cryptids
  4. Favors
2 Likes

Mr. Goblin Punch wrote a chasis for an awesome sounding one-shot called The Dragon Hole. There’s six unique dragons all with interesting hoards.

1. Alcohol (a dragon sommelier :grin:)
  2. Prospective dragonslayers
  3. Plays and playwrights
  4. Mirrors
  5. Cute animals
  6. Pottery
  7. Botched Portraits
  8. Architecture (dragons need terrain for WH40K too)
4 Likes

Thank you for this! :smiley: I love the adventure and all the different dragons! Especially the shepherdess and the cat hoarder.

Also, that sommelier dragon is awesome!

1 Like

And here I was, stopping myself from adding “Dragons. Reroll on this table a lot” to my entries because I feared it might be too crazy…

2 Likes

I always figured a dragon’s hoarding was greed in its most malicious form, so it’s not enough to have something, you have to deprive someone else of it too.

1. Final masterpieces of renowned artists.
  2. Mothers’ last tokens of their dead children.
  3. The entire breeding stock of a superior horse lineage.
  4. Saints’ bones.
  5. Monarchs’ dying words.
  6. skulls of beloved pets.
2 Likes

More dragons! Also their hoards! Chromatic Metallic

Even more dragons! Dracospawn

And of course, my favourite tale about a dragons hoard: The Dragon Bank

1 Like

Thank you so much for these links! Tying dragons to the seven deadly sins (along with elements, favorite hoards) is such a creative idea. It would be fun to see more mystic elements with dragons in that sense. This is awesome! And that short story is really wonderful. :smiley:

This is an excellent qualifier! And your entries sound really fun to play with–perfect for more meaningful games.

2 Likes

The deed to a keep or castle. In the fantasy world the deeds are binding so nobody else can own it as long as the dragon has the deed in its horde.

1. a mountainous pile of pearl-shells. not pearls, the shells of the pearl oysters.
  2. seeds of every variety of pepper the dragon can find. (secret of fire breath revealed!)
  3. glass beads of every colour, shape and pattern, packed in glass jars.
  4. the verdigrised bones of its predecessor.
2 Likes

Hah, that’s amazing. I’m just imagining a huge red dragon make sriracha on the side when not terrorizing the country side.

3 Likes

Gotta have something to season all those livestock they keep pilfering, and all *grin*

2 Likes

“Repeat after me: harla-PAIN-yo.”
“Harla-PAIN-yo.”
“Better! Now try one.”
“What is it?”
“You’re about to get your palate educated, princess.”

3 Likes

Random Loot in a Dragon’s Lair – 3d6

Dice Roll Result
3 Piles of bones from previous meals of the Dragon. 1d6 Dragon’s Teeth which are the same as Dragon Tooth, Natural weapons.
4 Xitau Crystal, Blue, Random Weapon, 4d6 sp
5 An Egg. It’s weird looking. Anything the person telling the story decides could one day hatch out of it. It could easily be a Dragon Egg in which case if the Dragon to whom the cavern belongs is still alive anyone taking the egg will receive the Problem of Hunted (Mama Dragon). Reroll another entry on this chart as well.
6 A Book, 3d6 gp
7 3d6 x 5 gp, 2d6 Gems
8 3d6 gp, 3d6 sp
9 Random Armor
10 Random Weapon
11 A Treasure Chest. Literally anything the person telling the story decides could be waiting inside, even a Halfling!
12 When searching the cave a Swarm of Rats (see page 13 of this book) are disturbed and attack the characters. Reroll another entry on this chart as well.
13 6d6 gp and a Key to a Lock. No sign of the Lock though. Does it open a Treasure Chest? A door to adventure? A Harem in a nearby Palace?
14 A Legendary Random Item, 3d6 gp
15 Random Armor, 3d6 gp
16 Random Weapon, 3d6 gp
17 Living Being, kept prisoner in the Lair. Reroll another entry on this chart as well.
18 Suit of Knight’s Armor, Low Quality, 3d6 gp, 5d6 sp, 10d6 cp, 1d6 Gems together with a scattering of broken human bones

(from the WHITEFRANK Item Catalogue)

1 Like