A5 BECMI Reprint

As a younger OSR player, I never had the original BECMI books, so I decided to make my own. I decided on A5 as it’s my preferred size of books these days. I think it turned out pretty good!

6 Likes

These look amazing! The print quality looks great as well, did you use a special printer for these?

1 Like

No sir, lulu printed them all for a few bucks each.

I was impressed as well. The matte finish gives them a nice feel and look.

2 Likes

Oooh, right, got it, thanks! I don’t suppose they will lie flat while opened? They look a bit too stiff for that from the pics. Otherwise yeah, very impressive.

No, definitely won’t lie open flat. A5 won’t work for that I don’t think, even the hardcover sewn bindings of OSE won’t do it

1 Like

I saw a few customers were mentioning that about the hardcovers as well - kinda wish they’d offer a premium version that lies flat. It’s really a minor thing overall though, product looks worth the money regardless.

OSE is amazing and definitely worth it. I just think that with A5’s size you can’t physically get books to lie flat like you can with larger print versions - so you have to trade off the usability of the small form factor or the usability of a lie-flat.

1 Like

Wow, those look stunning.

2 Likes

Those are awesome! The matte finish was an inspired choice.

Did you do that recently? I’ve heard lulu’s having massive problems…

1 Like

Thanks Aaron,

Yes, I ordered them at the end of May. A lot of Lulu’s print options are not around any longer, which may be the “trouble” you’re referring to, but outside of a long print/shipping time due to COVID I would say the print quality of the options they do have are on point based on what I received. This is in contrast to the print quality I’ve recently seen at DriveThruRPG - my 1e DMG hard back is not so great, for example. DTRPGs print/ship times are even worse than what I saw at Lulu as well.

1 Like

DAMN! This is pretty heckin’ badass. I love the A5 format. Cough Lamentations Cough. I never played growing up either. I’m pretty sure my mom told me it made kids suicidal or whatever bs lol.

1 Like

So sounds like Lulu is still the best POD option for RPGs?
Just printed something with The Book Patch but I’d like to try other services just to compare.

I think so, I’m pleased with the service, although I must admit I don’t have a ton of PoD experience outside of printme1 and Lulu so I’d love to hear of other services to look at!

1 Like

at The Book Patch an 86 page ‘A5’ came out to about $6 plus another $6 for shipping and handling.
I can get it printed locally for about the same so I’m going to try that and compare.
I didn’t see any option at Book Patch for printing on the inside cover, which I’ve seen some books do. I’d like that option.

1 Like

That’s about the same price as lulu was, maybe a little but more. I wish lulu did printing on the inside covers as well but it seems that option was removed.

I didn’t realize an individual print from a local shop would be that reasonable. I’ll have to investigate what’s available in my area, I ruled it out before even investigating and I’d like to support local businesses if I can