Dungeoncraft / Professor Dungeon Master (youtube) appreciation thread, stellar stuff!

This man has gone and changed the game! Along with Questing Beasts’ channel, MOTHERSHIP and Basic Fantasy RPG, nothing! else has gotten me as “crunk” about the OSR or trying new things, using faster more OSR style rules and checking out selected products.

Not only is PDM a hyper experienced, really committed GM since his early teens, he is also very affable, witty as hell on occasion, always erudite (English professor I think?) and does voices for his NPCs that blow my mind, I wish! I could do that even close to his level. His videos on doing away with initiative, how to make Ultimate Dungeon Terrain, the rules he doesn’t use and especially the vid on the rules he does use are amazing. And I have only begun to scratch the surface, seen less than 15% of his vids.

That video on rules he does use essentially takes the very best/fastest/easiest rules or ideas from exactly the OSR products I like the most and those are the house rules he runs. I love his villain and story concepts, out of the box, engaging and multi-layered world and character building.

He updates a lot, including examples of play, long videos, behind the scenes, offers a ton of value. I became a Patreon and find every penny well spent. He is beginning to make a decent monthly Patreon amount yet you can tell that that is not his motivation and he is investing it back into better production values, also he surely spends an ungodly amounts of time making his terrains, painting minis and doing his videos. Example of him being in it for the love: he refused to make and sell a PDF plenty of people clamored for, figuring the money should go to the creators of the rules/products that he got the ideas from. Humble dude, gives huge props to the (OSR) people and game designers he respects.

His players and fam seem like really good eggs as well and are all gamers. I hope he ends up getting even more Patreon pledges, because I can’t wait to see what he is capable of, especially considering the quality of his terrains and videos even now. RPG and OSR/DIY is his life (alongside his fam and job) and always has been as far as I can tell, and his enthusiasm makes me want to be a better GM. Nope, he didn’t pay me to write this, I have never even communicated with the man. xd Hell, I am paying him!

Check him out. Really.

3 Likes

I may not agree with every house rule or opinion Professor has, but I always check out his new stuff. His videos make me think about sides of the game I wouldn’t by myself. And that’s what’s valuable to me!

1 Like

I’ve got a lot of respect for Prof. DM. Alas, hobby budget means that I can’t back every creator I’d like to at the same time, so try to run through a rota. He’s assuredly on the list!

I found his campaign prep videos to be particularly helpful for reassessing how I go about planning a session, and I’ve started turning a spare bit of shelving into a UDT homage (thank goodness that grids don’t have to matter, because mine do not look even).

My favourite video is probably him talking through his character creation process with very simplified character sheets. Helped get me out of my mindset of ‘this is the official character sheet, therefore it is the only character sheet to use’.

1 Like