Goblin Slayer is OSR

Wrote up why I think Goblin Slayer is a pretty good example of “combat as war, not sport”. A core tenant of the OSR scene. Check out the blogpost below!

Goblin Slayer is OSR

Thanks for reading!

6 Likes

I’ve been going crazy waiting for season 2! Haven’t read the manga but I’ve been considering reading the original light novels. I 100% agree with you. I’m generally not that into traditional fantasy, but Goblin Slayer is so clever, and so transparently inspired by old school D&D (the anime even has dice rolling in the opening theme).

1 Like

Ha me too, though I am caught up on the mangas. Goblin Slayer is so d&d even the guild sign-up forms resemble 5e character sheets lol. Thanks for reading!

I still haven’t finished it (my wife doesn’t like it and we watch most shows together), but my impression is that GS is an Old-School player in a D&D 5e world. Like, everybody acts in a flashy, later-D&D way, and he plans his fights as if he was playing an older. more brutal, game.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting observation, I like that idea.

1 Like

This is a great view. A poor OSR player playing in a 5e campaign. lol

I feel like you just summarized me also cause I often turn into the player that has his character load his shotgun and go total war on an encounter when everyone else is treating it as a sporting event.

Also “Civman no!” Seems to be an dialogue option for my fellow players when I start to get itchy for a fight.

3 Likes