The Big Introductions Thread

Just took care of this, thanks for letting me know to do this

1 Like

Hi, I’m Ash Zealot and I write some stuff in the Fortress of Dust.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Pit !

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m Symbolic City, long time lurker who thought they had already posted and introduction, but I guess I forgot. I’ve only been role-playing for a few years now. I started at the beginning of the pandemic, mostly over Roll20, as something to do with friends while we were all isolated, which I’ve come to learn is a pretty common story. I started out with Ultraviolet Grasslands, played Dungeon World a bit, have done some Into the Odd-derived games, and am currently about a dozen sessions into a Blades in the Dark campaign. And, inevitably, I’ve started publishing my own materials on itch.

3 Likes

Hi all! My name is Maxim (he/they) :slight_smile: I joined a while ago and have done some light lurking here, but I’m hoping to get a bit more involved. I started playing RPGs in late 2019; I’ve only ever played D&D 5e but have been wanting to branch out, and am intrigued by the world of OSR. I have mostly GMed and have done a lot of worldbuilding and homebrew over the last year. I’m working on my first fantasy rpg module (game engine-agnostic) right now which I am going to be self- printing and publishing in the next few weeks, which has been really fun and which I’ll definitely share here!

2 Likes

My name is Mark and I’m in the process of getting back into playing TTRPGs. I started playing D&D in college around 1976 and have lots of games in print and in PDF. I recently started playing in a Pathfinder game using chat in Discord. I’m interested in some of the Retroclones, but also lots of the more modern games (I just have the basic 3 books for D&D 5e, but several settings, for example). I’m also interested in solo gaming.

3 Likes

Hi David here!
I’m from (southern - ) Germany and got into TTRPGs via indie skirmish games and wargames. I then stumbled into an 5e campaign but with stuff like Forbidden Psalm (a Mörk Börk compatible skirmish ttrpg game) I quickly transitioned from 5e to indy and OSR stuff. Looking forward to join this community :slight_smile:
Cheers
David

2 Likes

Howdy! I’m Selene and I first learned about the OSR around half a year ago and have been super intrigued by it ever since. So far most of my experience is just with B/X but I plan on checking out more systems in the near future.

I’m also pretty interested in worldbuilding and also do a fair amount of programming in my free time.

2 Likes

Oi oi,
I cut my teeth on A,D&D, so when I found a few OSR video last year it struck a chord. A,D&D was truly awful in so many ways, but it packed a kind of punch that’s lacking with so many modern RPGs, so I’m signing up to hear more about pilfering the good stuff of ye olde RPGs.

I’m also here for the hacking scene - I’ve cobbled together my own game - I think the model of sharing works much better for everyone.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Jason. Been playing D&D since 1988-89, I was 13, going on 14 but grew up with D&D through the old LJN toys and the animated series. I lived in a small town of 800 people and the closest book store was over an hour away so I didn’t have easy access to D&D or the like so the toys and cartoon were my only gateway.

In 1988 some friends found a copy of the OCE at a yard sale along with the original LBB Greyhawk book, Gods, Demigods & Heroes and a 1e PHB and we started playing with those. It was very confusing since it was half a combat system and then the Greyhawk combat system but we figured it out and had a blast for about 3 years before we got into Shadowrun and picked up the 2e AD&D books.

I really liked the older style of D&D, the appendix N style as the hipsters call it now and especially Michael Moorcock, Jack Vance & Fritz Lieber’s work. You slam those two into the D&D cartoon and throw in some Terry Gilliam and you have an idea of how I run my games.

These days, after trying to work out how we used to play using Swords & Wizardry and then discovering Dungeon Crawl Classics, I use DCC for my games with the Lankhmar boxed set for some added stuff. After years of playing 3.x and getting burnt out on that and then playing 5e for a couple I wanted something a little more freeform and found that older D&D was still cool but not grabbing my Bill Clintons in the same way while DCC has that old school style and captures the feeling I had in my old gaming room with my friends in junior high and high school with our ill gotten Mountain Dew (shhhh) and out there, Moorcock and Lieber inspired fantasy adventures.

2 Likes

Howdy y’all, I’m coming over from /r/OSR to check stuff out.

I’m relatively new to tabletop by way of D&D. Got my start in 2017 as a 5e player, but when I started DMing, I kept finding advice threads suggesting methods inspired by OSR games, and the more of that advice I read, the more I realized that in some ways, I run my 5e game like an OSR DM. Just recently I finally ran a game of Whitebox FMAG and I’m completely enthralled with the “3lbb” play style.

Because I DM, I make stuff. I really like random tables that work together on a theme. I keep an analogue notebook, and post things out of it every so often at https://ellestabletopthoughts.wordpress.com/ .

Looking forward to hanging around!

4 Likes

Hi folks
Another visitor directed here from Reddit.
My name is Malcolm, I’m from Scotland and have been gaming since the early 80s. After 20 odd years of almost exclusively 1E AD&D (with some 2E RQ and Champions at university), I branched out into plethora of games and got a bad case of what my friend calls ‘gamer ADD’ - the urge to just keep buying things because they look good.
Savage Worlds became my go to for a long time, and over the past couple of years I’ve really taken to some of Free League’s stuff particularly Coriolis and Forbidden Lands.
But I’ve maintained an interest in things old school for a while, and I subscribe to many of the blogs of people here, and backed quite a few Kickstarters as well.
My time at the helm of our gaming group has come round again, so I’m ‘treating’ them to some AD&D for old times’ sake - hopefully they like it!

2 Likes

Hello! I’m TheThreeSeat, I am from Virginia, and I run a West Marches-style campaign in Old School Essentials on Foundry VTT.

I had been interested in tabletop RPGs for a decade before I actually got to play in a real game, and it was another five years before I got a real campaign going. I came to the OSR by way of D&D 5E and Symbaroum.

Thank you for having me!

3 Likes

Hey all. Another r/OSR migrant. I’m Operant Game Lab and I made a game called Rovers & Riches by shoving B/X classes and exploration rules into Knave. Currently working on a mini sandbox setting and looking to start an online game to try it out.

2 Likes

Good morning (or a pleasant-respective-time-of-day if it’s not morning by you!) to all here. You can call me Chronicle, titled after my home campaign, the Chronicles of Adventure. That’s less important than why I’m here, though. I’ve been tabletop gaming for years, and got into running games around the time D&D 5e dropped. Even then, I had a strong interest in the OSR and did my best to try and hack my game to lean into more of the old-school style. Over time, though, 5th edition has moved further in spirit from the sort of game I want to play. I’m moving to something like Basic Fantasy after my current campaign’s conclusion.

Anyway, I’m here to talk about old-school gaming, learn anything I can, and discover new resources and inspirations for my games. I might also take some time to write about what I’ve learned trying to OSR-ify my 5e game, for the benefit of anybody curious. Pleased to meet you all.

2 Likes

Ahoy !
I’m Bendo a youngish gm who recently got in the OSR genre.

I’ve got my greasy goblin fingers over Mork borg and I intend to discover about this world and many others

3 Likes

I see a lot of new members in the past week (thanks Reddit!).

Welcome everybody. The forum might not be at its best (I’ll check for updates and any kind of maintenance right after this post), but I hope it becomes a cool place for you to talk about old school gaming.

4 Likes

as a 5e-gone-OSR person myself, I would love to see what your thoughts are! We could compare notes.

1 Like

Hi all, another OSR convertite in the making here. I haven’t yet had much of a chance to reform my 5E groups, but I am confident they will join me in due time. I’m also interested in solo play.

1 Like

Howdy. Excited to be a part of something more leisurely paced (this forum) than discord.

I mostly play B/X (and its derivatives). Usually OSE, these days. Also some occasional Death in Space, Mork Borg, Into the Odd, Cairn, Knave, etc.

2 Likes