The Big Introductions Thread

And so many different sub threads, it’s insane trying to find any quality content in that medium.

That said, it is really good for getting a fast response to a quick question.

I’ve been happy with the /r/osr subreddit in general but as a whole there’s no real way for discussions to evolve over time. You get a day or two at most.

1 Like

Hi Chris! I recognize your blog from your Tetris base building minigame :slight_smile: it’s really fun!

1 Like

Hey thar, I’m Jez from Sydney. RPG graphic designer, cartographer and illustrator. Been playing RPGs since 84 and have been around the game scene for 10 years so I recognise a few of the folks already signed up here.

I’m working on Feral RPG which you can check out at www.feralrpg.com and blog on and off at gibletblizzard.blogspot.com. I also tinker with D6 Star Wars Essentials.

Bewdy.

9 Likes

Hey folks, I’m Jesse, from the DC suburbs of MD. I play a bunch online, mostly with the Gauntlet, and sadly I’m a point in my life where getting out of the house (I mean, beyond the stay at home order) to play in meat space is tough. I came up playing AD&D 2e in the mid/late 90s, took a decade and a half break, and now I’m back. I play both PbtA/story games type stuff as well as OSR (Mostly OSE/White Hack/Into the Odd/Macchiatto Monsters) stuff. There’s so much creativity in the community and I love it.

4 Likes

Hi Chris! I recognize your blog from your Tetris base building minigame :slight_smile: it’s really fun!

Hi Chiquita. I’m glad you liked it! I’ve been spending some time lately cleaning a few of my posts and converting them to PDF. Here’s the base building one if you’d like a copy.

1 Like

Welcome everybody!

I’m really happy to see we are getting so many new pitties, here. In fact, we already passed the 100 users mark and are currently running at speed toward the 200 users’ post. While answering to each one of you would probably eat up most of my day, I would like to address some considerations I’ve seen on this thread about what you expect from this place:

Me and @Kingroy23 decided to start this place exactly because we felt that the other community options available for talking about OSR were not suited to the kind of long form discussion many of us enjoyed on Google Plus and, for us Elder Ones, on forums before. While there are nice ways to keep in touch with other community members, like Discord, MeWe or Reddit (and, in fact, places like Discord are wonderful for the kind of quick-developing ideas many of us still enjoy), a place for a slower-paced, long-form discussion might be helpful for the OSR community as a whole.

I think we are all on the same page about what we can do with this place :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi all, hope I’m not too late to the party. I incredibly rarely blog over at Peerless Three-rune Blog

I got started with rpgs with Dungeon World and 5e a few years ago. My first taste with the osr was the one page dungeon contest, with Goblin Punch. I read through way to many systems for the small amount I get to run. I love following along with all the cool mechanics and gonzo ideas people are always coming up with, so I’m excited to be here for a part of that!

6 Likes

Hah, I feel that! Welcome to the Pit.

1 Like

Hey all! I’m Philippe. I think and read about ttrpgs a lot more than I actually get to play them, but I’m running a weekly LOTFP campaign right now and am playing in a 5e campaign. And with stay-at-home orders refusing to let up, I’m planning on starting another game. We’ll see how that goes!
Currently working on my zinequest project called “The Beloved Underbelly.” I still can’t believe that it funded and people are excited about it. Well, I better make it good, then!
I’m also an illustrator/artist and am wanting to make more work either for tabletop RPGs, or just playing with the aesthetics of them.
Really just wanting to talk adventure design, rules bolt-ons, cool shit I can steal, etc.

7 Likes

Hey! I’m Veeti, from Finland. A forever lurker on OSR Discord and various blogs, not much of a participator. Started this whole journey in 2017 with D&D 5e, and ended up running LotFP, Knave and Old-School Essentials in the end of 2019. I really dig this stuff and haven’t looked back since.

I cook a lot of tables and all sort of ideas for my games, some don’t ever see the daylight. Hence, I started the Crescent Slug back in January. It’s been a super slow start, but I really feel like writing a lot more now. I’m a digital design (UI & UX stuff) student and I like to draw, so probably that sort of visual stuff will find its way to the blog as well.

Nice to meet you all!

4 Likes

Hey everybody! I’m Nick Roman, nroman on the OSR Discord. I run the Espharel blog, which is coming up on a year-and-a-half of posts! I’m relatively new to the OSR scene and RPGs in general, but I’ve never let that stop me.

I mainly post content for the GLOG, but I’m also diversifying. You might know me from my Saints and Shrines sub-system, my in-progress underwater exploration game, and my Elder Scrolls GLOGhack. I’m currently running a Castle Xyntillan game online.

6 Likes

Love that loot table! Looking forward to seeing more of what you come up with.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

I’ve been playing RPGs (and chiefly running them) for 15+ years now. We mostly played D&D 3.0, Vampire: the Masquerade, Shadowrun, Rifts, WFRP, Dark Heresy, Werewolf: the Forsaken - and since 2009, loads of old-school goodness. Having played around with Whitebox and B/X a lot, I’ve been slowly moving towards crunchier systems (AS&SH, Mythras, Zweihänder).

I blog over at https:ynasmidgard.blogspot.com/ - I mostly post reviews nowadays. I’m also a copy-editor (recent works include Dark Streets & Darker Secrets, On Downtime & Demesnes, and Against the Darkmaster), and I’m virtually always looking for more work.

I’m not too keen on running games online (as a referee, I very much require the physical presence of my players to stay in the zone), but as a player I’m usually down for some casual dungeon crawling, schedule permitting.

6 Likes

Hello. I’m Patrick Stuart.

With the help of artists, editors and layout people, I made Silent Titans, Fire on the Velvet Horizon, Veins of the Earth, Deep Carbon Observatory and a handful of other things.

I blog at falsemachine.blogspot.com.

11 Likes

Hello! I’m kind of new to the whole OSR thing. I mostly play what you guys would call “storygames” (even though i despise the term and think the whole concept should die in a ditch). I’m responsible for the Italian translation of Dungeon World (the Creative Commons one, not the capitalist we-dont-sell-pdfs publisher one).

I guess my gaming history can be covered as such: started on D&D3, then played D&D4 for a few years, then tried Dogs in the Vineyard and Apocalypse World and got into Forge games. Dungeon World is my most played game.

I’ve been currently playing a campaign of Freebooters on the Frontier (a OSR-style Dungeon World hack) together with @thekernelinyellow. I’m also enjoying a copy of Old School Essentials and will try to run it soon.

P.S. This card-based look is really hard to read. Also, no dark theme? We use the default Discourse theme in our instance and it works fine.

6 Likes

Welcome everybody!

@Froggy we are currently discussing new themes in the Ideas and Suggestions and New theme feedback topics, take a look there.

There is a dark theme.

1 Like

Hey, I’m Chris McDowall and I write stuff at bastionland.com, notably Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland.

Look forward to seeing how this platform goes!

14 Likes

Yes, there is, but I’m the first one to acknowledge that it’s still a work in progress.

And welcome @bastionland :smiley: We are always happy to have new Pitties!

Hello all!

I came into the hobby a bit sideways, my first ever game was a 1.5 year long Burning Wheel campaign I played in during college. Since then I’ve jumped around to a lot of systems, spending quite a bit of time with Dungeon World.

More recently I’ve been into OSR or OSR adjecent systems, running a lot of Mothership and Electric Bastionland.

I blog sporadically at academyofdoors.blogspot.com where I sometimes even post things that are good.

10 Likes