The Big Introductions Thread

Welcome @Benji_Dike and @shutteredroom!

2 Likes

:wave: I probably won’t be paying much attention to this place any time soon, but I’m here, I guess?
I did Principia Apocrypha and occasionally find the energy to blog at https://lithyscaphe.blogspot.com and tweet from https://twitter.com/lithyscaphe

I also wrote What We Talk About When We Talk About The OSR, which might be of ontological use in some of the perennial :cd::horse: in these parts, because by god, we’ll reach hell via the ruts of the circles we talk in.

But most recently I’m working on a Knave hack that emphasizes what I’m calling Problem-Solving Combat, attempting to replace trad combat procedures with the open-ended gameplay that’s at the heart of what I like about OSR games.

9 Likes

Welcome @curiousepic!

As somebody who has been spamming Principia Apocrypha all over the interwebz, I’m really happy to know that we have at least one user I won’t be spamming them to!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I just handed a copy of this to a friend of mine last night! Love your stuff, look forward to anything else you’re working on.

Really cool stuff here - I’m a huge Knave fan and I think you’re doing great work to really give an already amazing system some extra punch!

1 Like

Hello beautiful people,

I’m Filippo from Italy, I work in videogames and I LOVE pen and paper rpgs.
I’ll drop some titles in random order to give you an idea of what I dig:
D&D 5e, Cyberpunk 2020, Sine Requie, Torika!, Lancer, Dark Heresy, Don’t Rest Your Head, Pathfinder, Degenesis, Mork Borg.

In my spare time I publish short layouts of dungeons and encounters as Nyhur. You can find me on Facebook and Instagram.
I mainly focus on narrative and encounter design as my art skills are very limited hehe

Looking forward to know you guys and read a lot of cool stuff!

P.S.
Thanks a lot @LF_OSR for pointing me to this forum :]

4 Likes

Hey @Nyhur ! Welcome welcome, glad you’ve joined us in the Pit! :muscle: Feel free to set yourself up with your own art thread, I know people here will love your stuff. Be sure to read this so you can get set up.

1 Like

Welcome! Love your work, hope you’re getting that downtime you need!

Hi, I’m edi, I like b/x.
I have a blog where I sometimes draw some dungeons for you folks to steal :blush:

I always look for ways to improve my gameplay and prep

5 Likes

Hey everyone. I’m Erik from Sweden, and grew up playing the Swedish Basic Roleplaying-games Drakar och demoner and Mutant. Got back into RPG:s a few years ago with Mutant: Year Zero, and that game’s focus on sandbox style led me to the OSR.

Currently I am GMing a Whitehack game around the city of Repetleville. I have been preparing a hex crawl on the Red planet for a while (I’ve made a few blogposts about it on https://redberryplanet.blogspot.com/ ), but am still waiting for my players to 1) TPK or 2) take an interest in the Sky Hansa and their planned expedition into the supralunar Ether.

5 Likes

Welcome @edi and @marat! I hope that this place is right for you :smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone! My name Rusty and I have been playing OSR games for 7 months now. Once I found out about the OSR I realized it was exactly what I had been looking for and never looked back to 5e. I got into playing dnd when I was in the Marine Corps. I have mostly been playing Lamentations of the flame princess but I enjoy Dungeon Crawl Classics as well. Currently I’m playing in 2 campaigns online with people from all over the world. I hate to admit it but I’ve never had a character make it to past level 5 in any OSR game. Killed plenty of my own adventurers though. RIP. I found this website the other day and I decided it’s a great format to publish reviews of games/adventures that I’ve purchased.

6 Likes

Welcome!

If you found out about OSR 7 months ago and you’re already level 7, you’re doing better than most of us. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten an OSR character up to level 5.

2 Likes

Hi there !

I’m from France and I’m a roleplayer since 1993 and a GM since 1996. I’ve begin to play with AD&D2, but I’ve GM Rolemaster and more realistic games than D&D. Times goes on and I’m more and more interested by the roots of my hobby, and I’m now in the OSR mood :slight_smile:

I’m not in the “player skills over character skills” because the two of them are important for me. But I’ve an ORSesque vision of the RPG since I don’t really enjoy the overpowered and too rules-heavy modern games.

I love Beyond the World and Other Adventures at the moment, and have two campaigns ongoing where I’m GM with BtW.

Spread the world! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m Matt. I have been gaming since '83, mostly TSR stuff until the 00s. Started with D&D redbox, then went to AD&D, Marvel, Star Frontiers, played a handful of other games like Rifts, TMNT, Warhammer, Call of Cthulhu, etc. Took a break through most of the 90s when I ‘grew up, joined the Army and got married’, then slowly started getting back into gaming in the early 00s. Retired from the Army after almost 23 years. Now I play mostly OSE or other old school, rules lite games, dream up new stupid rules lite game systems (that I almost never use) and draw maps. My maps have been published a few times (I do not do commissions anymore so don’t waste your time) but mostly I draw because it is fun and I enjoy it as a hobby.

I post my maps over on my long running blog at msjx.org

5 Likes

Hi, all. I’m MarquisZardoz, from Denton, TX. I don’t get a chance to play in many games, but when I do I usually run DCC RPG. I’m a big fan of the +/-1 d mechanic, character backgrounds as skills, Mighty Deeds for warriors, and (of course) the 0-level funnel. I don’t generally write my own adventures, but I have a lot of fun fiddling with published adventures before I run them.

3 Likes

Hello,

I thought I had posted here but I realize I never had. My name is Justin, and I’ve been playing rpgs my entire life, having been introduced to BECMI and AD&D by my uncle early on.

I love gaming of all sorts, in terms of OSR-style games I especially love 3LBB D&D and kind of a more free-formy pre-D&D “Arnesonian” style of gaming.

I’m currently in a really fun Castle Xyntillan Swords & Wizardry game, and I am running a weekly OSE game that has kind of a Mount & Blade vibe. I also have a blog I sometimes post to at https://aboleth-overlords.com

Nice to meet you all!

4 Likes

Mount & Blade is th best! It is probably the closest to how I imagine domain management.
If it had Vancian magic and dungeon exploration, too, it would be the perfect D&D-esque video game!

3 Likes

Hello! I’m a writer and a longtime player of rpgs, old-school and otherwise. Don’t have much of an internet presence, but I wanted to check out the Pit and get back into writing my own stuff for tabletop games. Nice to meet everyone.

7 Likes

Baffling that this hasn’t happened yet. Skyrim is still the closest for me.

1 Like

Welcome to the Pit, Luz!

1 Like