The Big Introductions Thread

Thank you! :slight_smile: Pleasure to be here.

3 Likes

Big fan of yours! Great to see you here, and I hope you stick around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! I’m John Erwin, system-hopping RPG enthusiast from Manila, PH. I am definitely a fan of OSR gameplay and design goals, and I do incorporate them in my games via hacking and in my small projects (check it here: https://mister-erwin.itch.io/). I also ramble my rpg musings at https://halfminotaurfarmer.blogspot.com/. My most popular ones are when I converted Ironsworn’s Momentum system into d20, as well as putting HP cost in 4E powers as hacks.

6 Likes

Welcome @mister.erwin!

1 Like

Hi! My name’s Benji, I’m 35, I come from England but I’ve been living in Laos for the past 7 years. About 4 years ago some friends and I started playing 5e D&D. I quickly become obsessed, but I found various things about 5e frustrating and started looking at other RPG systems. Before long I stumbled upon the OSR and at the same time became interested in storygame/PbtA stuff. My DMing is a bit of a mixture of those two styles or approaches.

I’ve recently run a Mothership (Dead Planet) mini campaign and am currently running a hexcrawl in Knave (hacked with bits of Old School Essentials and Emmy Allen’s Horrible Wounds system). We’ve just finished The Croaking Fane and started exploring The Hole in the Oak. After that I’m hoping to run either Blades in the Dark or Electric Bastionland.

I’m also trying to get my arse in gear and share some of my homebrew stuff, but I’m a terribly disorganised procrastinator and rarely manage to transform the ideas scrawled in my notebook into a publishable state. At the moment I’m working on a one page dungeon with the hope of entering the OPD contest - I won a prize for my entry in 2018 but last year I missed the deadline.

Looking forward to having good discussions with you!

5 Likes

Hi,

I’m Fred, and I missed 3e, 4e and the OSR while on gaming hiatus. Catching up on a lot of homework now.

Based in the UK. Started blogging instead of just thinking about things at the end of last year.

Blog is at: https://shutteredroom.blogspot.com/

I like Halflings, d66 tables, monster system conversions and I tinker with 3d6 mechanics.

On Twitter, too, if that’s of any interest/use: @shutteredroom

6 Likes

Welcome @Benji_Dike and @shutteredroom!

2 Likes

:wave: I probably won’t be paying much attention to this place any time soon, but I’m here, I guess?
I did Principia Apocrypha and occasionally find the energy to blog at https://lithyscaphe.blogspot.com and tweet from https://twitter.com/lithyscaphe

I also wrote What We Talk About When We Talk About The OSR, which might be of ontological use in some of the perennial :cd::horse: in these parts, because by god, we’ll reach hell via the ruts of the circles we talk in.

But most recently I’m working on a Knave hack that emphasizes what I’m calling Problem-Solving Combat, attempting to replace trad combat procedures with the open-ended gameplay that’s at the heart of what I like about OSR games.

9 Likes

Welcome @curiousepic!

As somebody who has been spamming Principia Apocrypha all over the interwebz, I’m really happy to know that we have at least one user I won’t be spamming them to!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I just handed a copy of this to a friend of mine last night! Love your stuff, look forward to anything else you’re working on.

Really cool stuff here - I’m a huge Knave fan and I think you’re doing great work to really give an already amazing system some extra punch!

1 Like

Hello beautiful people,

I’m Filippo from Italy, I work in videogames and I LOVE pen and paper rpgs.
I’ll drop some titles in random order to give you an idea of what I dig:
D&D 5e, Cyberpunk 2020, Sine Requie, Torika!, Lancer, Dark Heresy, Don’t Rest Your Head, Pathfinder, Degenesis, Mork Borg.

In my spare time I publish short layouts of dungeons and encounters as Nyhur. You can find me on Facebook and Instagram.
I mainly focus on narrative and encounter design as my art skills are very limited hehe

Looking forward to know you guys and read a lot of cool stuff!

P.S.
Thanks a lot @LF_OSR for pointing me to this forum :]

4 Likes

Hey @Nyhur ! Welcome welcome, glad you’ve joined us in the Pit! :muscle: Feel free to set yourself up with your own art thread, I know people here will love your stuff. Be sure to read this so you can get set up.

1 Like

Welcome! Love your work, hope you’re getting that downtime you need!

Hi, I’m edi, I like b/x.
I have a blog where I sometimes draw some dungeons for you folks to steal :blush:

I always look for ways to improve my gameplay and prep

5 Likes

Hey everyone. I’m Erik from Sweden, and grew up playing the Swedish Basic Roleplaying-games Drakar och demoner and Mutant. Got back into RPG:s a few years ago with Mutant: Year Zero, and that game’s focus on sandbox style led me to the OSR.

Currently I am GMing a Whitehack game around the city of Repetleville. I have been preparing a hex crawl on the Red planet for a while (I’ve made a few blogposts about it on https://redberryplanet.blogspot.com/ ), but am still waiting for my players to 1) TPK or 2) take an interest in the Sky Hansa and their planned expedition into the supralunar Ether.

5 Likes

Welcome @edi and @marat! I hope that this place is right for you :smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone! My name Rusty and I have been playing OSR games for 7 months now. Once I found out about the OSR I realized it was exactly what I had been looking for and never looked back to 5e. I got into playing dnd when I was in the Marine Corps. I have mostly been playing Lamentations of the flame princess but I enjoy Dungeon Crawl Classics as well. Currently I’m playing in 2 campaigns online with people from all over the world. I hate to admit it but I’ve never had a character make it to past level 5 in any OSR game. Killed plenty of my own adventurers though. RIP. I found this website the other day and I decided it’s a great format to publish reviews of games/adventures that I’ve purchased.

6 Likes

Welcome!

If you found out about OSR 7 months ago and you’re already level 7, you’re doing better than most of us. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten an OSR character up to level 5.

2 Likes

Hi there !

I’m from France and I’m a roleplayer since 1993 and a GM since 1996. I’ve begin to play with AD&D2, but I’ve GM Rolemaster and more realistic games than D&D. Times goes on and I’m more and more interested by the roots of my hobby, and I’m now in the OSR mood :slight_smile:

I’m not in the “player skills over character skills” because the two of them are important for me. But I’ve an ORSesque vision of the RPG since I don’t really enjoy the overpowered and too rules-heavy modern games.

I love Beyond the World and Other Adventures at the moment, and have two campaigns ongoing where I’m GM with BtW.

Spread the world! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m Matt. I have been gaming since '83, mostly TSR stuff until the 00s. Started with D&D redbox, then went to AD&D, Marvel, Star Frontiers, played a handful of other games like Rifts, TMNT, Warhammer, Call of Cthulhu, etc. Took a break through most of the 90s when I ‘grew up, joined the Army and got married’, then slowly started getting back into gaming in the early 00s. Retired from the Army after almost 23 years. Now I play mostly OSE or other old school, rules lite games, dream up new stupid rules lite game systems (that I almost never use) and draw maps. My maps have been published a few times (I do not do commissions anymore so don’t waste your time) but mostly I draw because it is fun and I enjoy it as a hobby.

I post my maps over on my long running blog at msjx.org

5 Likes