The Big Introductions Thread

Hello, persons of the Pit.

I’m Basilisk, Basilisk*, BasiliskAsterisk, Pythagoras, jmhnilbog, or Mark depending on the seven-dimensional coördinates at hand. I started DMing with 1st Edition AD&D and enjoy the hell out of DCC RPG. I slowly add to my my blog at basiliskasterisk.com when not cursing at how much I hate blogging software. I wonder if my time would be better spent creating a blog platform specifically for RPG blogging, with built-in, auto-system-converting widgets for magic items, creatures, etc.

3 Likes

Welcome Basilisk!

Hah, that would be awesome. I also hate the free blogging software out there :laughing:

That makes three of us. I’ve also been thinking for a while about how I would write my own blogging software.

1 Like

I have already decided to write my own, but only when they - inevitably - pull the plug on blogger. Until then, I concentrate on other things.

2 Likes

Hello, while I am registered here as Ashikaider, I was active on G+ for a few years under my real name, Evan Lindsey. I’d dropped out due to recurring health issues, and when I felt like I was able to return, it got shut down.

I first played in a game in ‘95, that was a mix of various things, including Rolemaster crit and fumble charts, a hand-written bestiary, and my class’ information (I played a monk) was photocopied from a booklet and had around 60 levels to get through. I’ve played on and off since then, having played (or run) most versions of D&D (except for Holmes Basic), several Palladium games, Shadowrun, Alternity, Deadlands, Savage Worlds, Star Wars (originally the d20 stuff, then Saga, which made for a decent fantasy system, and more recently, d6 and a con game using MWP Firefly system), Champions, and a few other games.

After my group from the teens melted down due to reasons best left unseen, I recently found a second player who while having run quite a bit of 5e, hasn’t had the chance to play much. Thankfully, he’s open to some of my ideas and rules additions and sparked off a few ideas for a new setting that I just started working on a few days ago.

I haven’t had a net presence for the past four years, but now I think it’s a good time to start something up.

5 Likes

Greetings all round!

I was introduced to OSR gaming at a university club in Southern England in 2012; I have been maintaining a small blog for the last few years, also under this name. I was lucky enough to catch the tail-end of G+.

Thought I’d see what was gathering in the depths of the pit…

4 Likes

The Book of the Long Sun? Very nice.

Welcome! Guided tour through the Pit starts at 10, bring your own lanterns and spears :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m Alessio and I’m Italian though I have been living in UK for three years (and who knows the next country!). I am a modern gamer (I started with D&D 3.5 in 2005, then Pathfinder 1e, PtbA, FATE, and Savage Worlds). I have rediscovered at the end of 2019 the OSR movement, though I knew it since 2012 but I didn’t have people interested to play with. You can find my whole story as old school rpg gamer on my blog here: https://deeperintothedungeon.wordpress.com/2020/06/25/what-i-like-as-modern-gamer-abour-osr/

My favouritre OSR games are Old School Essentials, White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game, Blueholme Journeymanne, and Delving Deeper.

I am really happy to have found a place where discussing OSR gaming that are not on social media like FB, Twitter, Reddit, etc. since I disagree with their privacy policies and ethical framework. I hope to have fruitful discussions and feedback on my homebrew ideas!

5 Likes

Goblin’s Henchman here.
I have a blog (https://goblinshenchman.wordpress.com/) where I post RPG related thoughts.
Maybe this is the place to get my lost OSR G+ fix?
:O)

6 Likes

Welcome to the Pit!

Lots of people come here exactly for this, so I really hope this is the right place!

4 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Roberto from Italy. I found the OSR movement last Spring during the lockdown and since then I mostly lurking the community around.
My favorite D&D derivative is SW/White Box but my true love is the 2d6 Traveller System. I started the Italian translation of Cepheus Engine last November.
I am wannabe designer, even if not very original, and I am developing a very skimpy ruleset called GIST!. I am writing my first OSR game tentatively called “Roamers of the Dream” on that base.
Glad to be part of this community from now on!

6 Likes

Welcome! We’re all glad to have you around!

1 Like

Yes, it’s really nice to see that this community is really international ! (french guy living in germany here :smiley: )

4 Likes

Hi I’m Chiron. Live in California but from England originally. Haven’t played any RPGs since the 90s - been boardgaming/wargaming only since then. Have been exploring the OSR world over lockdown and finding it very exciting. Hoping one day to actually play a game :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Erik. I live in Nashville. Started playing AD&D in a neighbor’s campaign in 1980 and then I got the Moldvay set in 1981. Played dozens of games in the 80s - all the TSR stuff, Runequest, GURPS, Space 1889, Champions, etc. Stopped playing regularly when I went to college and by the mid-90s I’d left the hobby. Got back into it last year when Covid hit, and while I tried to enjoy 5E D&D it never felt right. Reddit led me to the OSR and I feel at home again. Excited to find another community after missing out on the G+ years.

5 Likes

Welcome Erik and Chiron! We’re glad to have ya both here.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m Iko. I come from the island of Corsica, but I live most of the year in Paris, France. I started by playing D&D and a bunch of RPG a long time ago, actually I’m game-curious. In the last 3 years I ran 2 very long campaigns, very story-focused. Since the plague has hit us all, I cant’ explain why, but I turned gradually to OSR. I’m reading a lot of OSR games, there are so many great games out there! I am trying to learn, and I’m writing a 90s teen-adventure rpg zine. I started a couple of weeks ago a podcast on and with OSR artists. Happy to be here, Yochai pointed me to this site.

7 Likes

Hi, I’m Judd. I’ve got a blog called Githyanki Diaspora and a podcast called Daydreaming about Dragons.

I live in upstate NY and run a weekly 5 Torches Deep game using what we remember of Planescape and a bunch of inspirational tables. I stream a few other games on-stream at the Actual Play channel.

Nice to see a new place to share and talk.

9 Likes

I’m Brian, from Edinburgh in Scotland. I’ve been playing RPGs since the 1980s although with quite a long break in the middle. I finally came back to the light a decade or so ago…or was that the darkness?

I’m interested in OSR gaming in many shapes and colours.

Really happy to find this forum (belatedly - I just heard about it in r/osr today!) and I’m looking forward to reading more and getting involved in the discussion.

5 Likes