The Big Introductions Thread

Hi,

My name is Bill. I started playing D&D with the three booklets in a box back in the 70s, migrated to the Hero system and WRFRP in the 80s, got back into D&D with 3e, departed with 4e and stumbled into the OSR shortly thereafter. My gaming these days mostly consists running the Black Hack, Knave and Into the Odd for my kids and being a player in 5e, Shadow of the Demon Lord and a few other campaigns with my friends here in Prague. I’m a big fan of Crypts & Things, and pretty much anything by Kevin Crawford as well as the three aforementioned games.

Back in the day I was a developer at Games Workshop’s old Low Pavement design studio, contributing to Warhammer Fantasy/40K and various other projects.I am also the creator of Gotrek and Felix. I occassionally write fiction with an OSR/Appendix N slant, most recently for Goodman Games Tales from the Magician’s Skull magazine.

6 Likes

Hey there! Glad to meet you online!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Pit!

That’s so cool! What was working for GW like?

1 Like

It was great. This was over 30 years ago. GW was a long way from being the behemoth it is today. Everybody knew everybody else, ideas were tossed around, off the wall things got incorporated as part of the process. In Low Pavement people would sleep on the couch in the office, and consume illicit substances on the stairs. There were a lot of very talented, charismatic and funny people in the building. Awesome artists too. I am still friends with a bunch of people I met there.

4 Likes

I have read the first tome of Gotrek and Felix and it was a fun read !

Continuing the discussion from New Users, Start Here!:

Hi folks!

I am new to this, but not the wonderful worlds of RPG’s. Being introduced to them in boy scout camp in around 84-5ish… I’ve latched on since then and watched many things come and go.

I am a lover of strange lists, weirdness in general, and simplifying things so they run supersmooth at the table.

I adore the GLOG and GLOGalikes that are out there, as well as the HERO system and GURPS.

3 Likes

Hi Nohr, I have to say that I consider your work to be the BEST in the industry hands down. Fantastic. I always find it inspiring and the inspiration I have derived from you work has imbued itself into my own Dark Fantasy Campaign which I am going to be self publishing this year. I have a blog that chronicles our Campaign setting, the world, lore etc. http://almostcampaign.blogspot.com

There will be a TON of more content coming as I organize things for my amateur self publishing endeavor haha. I really hope to see a lot more of your work in the near future and thanks for countless days I needed inspiration. Cheers!!

I’m Dammit Victor, in the process of setting up a blog and a YouTube channel under that name. Thirty year roleplayer (in general) and D&D fan (in specific), though I’ve taken some breaks from D&D here and there over the years. My interests lie primarily in Classic D&D and Player’s Option AD&D, and in revitalizing what some people call the galactic dragons and godwars D&D playstyle in the OSR.

I have too many massive projects on my plate, and too little executive function to make much progress on any of them-- but, just in case, you should ask me about Shroompunk.

4 Likes

Tell me about Shroompunk 0.o…

1 Like

I thought you’d never ask!

Shroompunk is my OSR fantasy setting aimed at recreating… basically the other old-school D&D playstyle of the Early 80s, the one based on the Master and Immortal boxed sets and the more surreal and gonzo adventure modules. It’s a sort of high magic/fairy tale approach to low fantasy/sword & sorcery that draws its primary influences from the Super Mario Bros and Masters of the Universe franchises: a setting where half-naked hammer-wielding barbarians ride feathered dinosaurs into battle against musketeers wearing armor made from turtle shells. Or straight up chivalric turtle-men.

Mechanically, what I’m trying to do is implement some of the Player’s Option rules and some carefully curated material from later editions inside a mostly recognizable and mostly compatible BECMI clone to replicate the high-flying wild and wahoo style of Early Eighties D&D (that I learned in the Early Nineties) while leaning into the implications of a lof ot D&D assumptions-- like PCs being oversexed pyromaniac murderhobos at low levels and conqueror-kings at mid-levels and actual gods at higher levels.

“Congratulations, you have slain the God of Murder and are now eligible to take his place. His mother, the Goddess of Hearth and Home, gives you a warm hug and lovingly welcomes you into the Pantheon-- she is your mother, now, you better remember she got her job the same way you got yours. And she’s so very proud of you.”

The Classic D&D classes would be replaced: Fighter and Thief are broken up into Knight, Slayer, Brawler, and Slinger, Mage and Priest are spread across three or four different power sources, and the Tolkien Trio demihuman classes are replaced entirely with draconic tortles, mushroom-dwarves, tiefling gorillas, swashbuckling horned ratfolk, bug faerie dromites, and warforged kender-gnomes.

5 Likes

Super Mario Bros meets He-Man is definitely my vibe

1 Like

Hi all! I’m Amanda, blog sometimes at hopefulweirdwonder.blogspot.com. Philly based tabletop nerd new to the OSR as of the COVID times and loving it. Recently started mapmaking

I play most things and am GMing a Spelljammer game at the moment

7 Likes

Welcome to the Pit @Hopefulweirdwonder! Please, open a thread in the #blogs-n-links for your blog, so this mapmaking goodness doesn’t get lost to the new messages :smiley:

1 Like

Just took care of this, thanks for letting me know to do this

1 Like

Hi, I’m Ash Zealot and I write some stuff in the Fortress of Dust.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Pit !

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m Symbolic City, long time lurker who thought they had already posted and introduction, but I guess I forgot. I’ve only been role-playing for a few years now. I started at the beginning of the pandemic, mostly over Roll20, as something to do with friends while we were all isolated, which I’ve come to learn is a pretty common story. I started out with Ultraviolet Grasslands, played Dungeon World a bit, have done some Into the Odd-derived games, and am currently about a dozen sessions into a Blades in the Dark campaign. And, inevitably, I’ve started publishing my own materials on itch.

3 Likes

Hi all! My name is Maxim (he/they) :slight_smile: I joined a while ago and have done some light lurking here, but I’m hoping to get a bit more involved. I started playing RPGs in late 2019; I’ve only ever played D&D 5e but have been wanting to branch out, and am intrigued by the world of OSR. I have mostly GMed and have done a lot of worldbuilding and homebrew over the last year. I’m working on my first fantasy rpg module (game engine-agnostic) right now which I am going to be self- printing and publishing in the next few weeks, which has been really fun and which I’ll definitely share here!

2 Likes

My name is Mark and I’m in the process of getting back into playing TTRPGs. I started playing D&D in college around 1976 and have lots of games in print and in PDF. I recently started playing in a Pathfinder game using chat in Discord. I’m interested in some of the Retroclones, but also lots of the more modern games (I just have the basic 3 books for D&D 5e, but several settings, for example). I’m also interested in solo gaming.

3 Likes

Hi David here!
I’m from (southern - ) Germany and got into TTRPGs via indie skirmish games and wargames. I then stumbled into an 5e campaign but with stuff like Forbidden Psalm (a Mörk Börk compatible skirmish ttrpg game) I quickly transitioned from 5e to indy and OSR stuff. Looking forward to join this community :slight_smile:
Cheers
David

2 Likes